21st September - a midnight excursion from London Village to Southsea.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ess

I'd like to join please.
Cheers

wanda2010

Guru
Hummers, I'm sorry. I have to bail as it's friends' birthday weekend. I did think about doing the ride then meeting them in the evening but we'll be partying all night so I need lots of pre-party sleep :rolleyes:.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Still in for this, but thinking through the logistics of doing both this and the Lewes-Bexhill thing. Probably the option is to stay overnight in Lewes, but is there an easy way to get from Pompey to Lewes by train? Via Brighton, perchance? And has Bexhill got a train station?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Still in for this, but thinking through the logistics of doing both this and the Lewes-Bexhill thing. Probably the option is to stay overnight in Lewes, but is there an easy way to get from Pompey to Lewes by train? Via Brighton, perchance? And has Bexhill got a train station?
Yes, on both counts: Lewes via Brighton (90 mins journey time from Fratton station), Bexhill does indeed have a station (again, change at Brighton, 2 1/2 hours from Fratton). There's engineering work on the line between Littlehampton and Brighton on the Sunday (fume!!), but none on the Saturday

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Charlie
getting home from Bexhill you would be better to ride the few miles to Hastings, or (better) West St Leonards and get a train northwards to London. You need a ticket at Hastings to get on the train. At West St Leonards you need to buy a permit to travel as the ticket office is never staffed. And you then simply pay for the rest of your fare when the guard comes and asks you. Or if.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Charlie
getting home from Bexhill you would be better to ride the few miles to Hastings, or (better) West St Leonards and get a train northwards to London. You need a ticket at Hastings to get on the train. At West St Leonards you need to buy a permit to travel as the ticket office is never staffed. And you then simply pay for the rest of your fare when the guard comes and asks you. Or if. hang on to Tall Martin's rear wheel for dear life.
FTFY Charlie! See you in Lewes! :thumbsup:

mmmmartin said:
Charlie​
getting home from Bexhill you would be better to ride the few miles to Hastings, or (better) West St Leonards and get a train northwards to London. You need a ticket at Hastings to get on the train. At West St Leonards you need to buy a permit to travel as the ticket office is never staffed. And you then simply pay for the rest of your fare when the guard comes and asks you. Or if. hang on to Tall Martin's rear wheel for dear life until the station, where I'll bale out and you'll be welcome to buy a ticket..​
FTFY Charlie! See you in Lewes! :thumbsup:

FTFY TallMart! Will not see you in Lewes! :thumbsup:
Hello friend :hello: ...it's only a bike ride - hope you are well. :smile:
(Charlie - capture him for ZSL..a rare breed indeed.)​

martint235

Dog on a bike

FTFY TallMart! Will not see you in Lewes! :thumbsup:
Hello friend :hello: ...it's only a bike ride - hope you are well. :smile:
(Charlie - capture him for ZSL..a rare breed indeed.)​
we headed straight for Dorking where the rain finally got to Chanelle and Dan who opted for the train option, assisted by Martin.

What can I say in my defence other than I learnt from a master!!

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
You might want to try a route along these lines.

Short, steep hill up to Buriton but then mostly gentle downhill all the way to Havant on quiet, lovely back roads through the villages of Finchdean and Rowlands Castle. Once in Havant town you can pick up the cycle route which takes you down Portsmouth's Eastern Road on a cycle track which is just a stone's throw from the promenade. It's my usual route from Petersfield to Portsmouth and is always a pleasure.

Top Bottom