22 lb full sus bike?!?!?!?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nosherduke996

Any way, one good thing about a heavy bike is that it builds better muscle power to pedel it. You would,nt get the worlds strongest man, training by pulling a smart car on a rope instead of h.g.v. would you ?

dodgy

I think people underplay the importance of a light bike, yes I'm aware that the complete weight of rider + bike makes weight savings of 2 or 3lbs seem negligible, but it does make a difference. Mate of mine has a Whyte E120 (full sus) and it weighs in about 23lbs, we often swap bikes around on rides (I have a Specialized Stumpy FSR 120 Pro) and you can feel the lightness of his bike, especially uphill. And yes I know the suspension arrangements on each bike are different, but a lighter bike is faster - we've timed it.
My next MTB will be a lightweight hardtail at around 20lbs I reckon, that will be about 9lbs lighter than my current FSR. That's well over half a stone!

U

User482

dodgy said:
I think people underplay the importance of a light bike, yes I'm aware that the complete weight of rider + bike makes weight savings of 2 or 3lbs seem negligible, but it does make a difference. Mate of mine has a Whyte E120 (full sus) and it weighs in about 23lbs, we often swap bikes around on rides (I have a Specialized Stumpy FSR 120 Pro) and you can feel the lightness of his bike, especially uphill. And yes I know the suspension arrangements on each bike are different, but a lighter bike is faster - we've timed it.
My next MTB will be a lightweight hardtail at around 20lbs I reckon, that will be about 9lbs lighter than my current FSR. That's well over half a stone!

That would only be true if you don't consider the terrain. I know for a fact that my current MTB is faster than my old one on my local loop (I've timed it). It is also 2-3lbs heavier.

barq

You've also got to take into account dead weight vs rotating weight. B)

But User482 has a point about the terrain. I ride my regular off road loop on two different bikes and, despite the climbing involved, the short travel full suspension MTB is faster than the lighter hard tail.

U

User482

barq said:
You've also got to take into account dead weight vs rotating weight. B)

But User482 has a point about the terrain. I ride my regular off road loop on two different bikes and, despite the climbing involved, the short travel full suspension MTB is faster than the lighter hard tail.

And lest I come across as a biking God, there's a guy in my club with a very light, short travel hardtail who easily beats me downhill (I have a 5" full susser).

dodgy

User482 said:
That would only be true if you don't consider the terrain. I know for a fact that my current MTB is faster than my old one on my local loop (I've timed it). It is also 2-3lbs heavier.

Don't get you. I'm talking about riding 2 different bikes up the same hill near where I live (a hill that I really hate actually, but it was a good test).

U

User482

dodgy said:
Don't get you. I'm talking about riding 2 different bikes up the same hill near where I live (a hill that I really hate actually, but it was a good test).

I'm talking about riding 2 different bikes around the same circuit near where I live. The heavier bike is quicker.

dodgy

User482 said:
I'm talking about riding 2 different bikes around the same circuit near where I live. The heavier bike is quicker.

Understood and happy for you ;)

U

User482

dodgy said:
Understood and happy for you ;)

Thanks! I don't dismiss the effect of weight, but it's just one of a number of factors determining how fast you can ride, especially on an MTB.

barq mentioned rotating weight - this is something I really notice when accelerating. Unfortunately, any time gained with my lightweight High Roller tyres was lost with repeated pinch flats!

maurice

High Rollers aren't light!!

I didn't think bike weight made much of a difference, until I got a new 23lbs hardtail.
Racing my 31lb full sus I was finishing around 60/90 in races. With the hardtail I went into the top 1/3 straight away.

U

User482

maurice said:
High Rollers aren't light!!

I didn't think bike weight made much of a difference, until I got a new 23lbs hardtail.
Racing my 31lb full sus I was finishing around 60/90 in races. With the hardtail I went into the top 1/3 straight away.

The ones on my bike are 480g. That's very light for a 2.1" tyre. Anyway, as I say, weight is just one of a number of factors - your light hardtail would be a real handful at one of the Welsh trailcentres for example.

U

User482

maurice said:
I'm surprised how light they are, the 2.35's I was using were pretty heavy and draggy.

I checked them on my kitchen scales! The 2.35s have a different tread pattern and tougher sidewalls so I'm not surprised they feel heavy.

As an aside, I switched to a Kenda Blue Groove & Nevegal for this weekend's trip to Afan & Brechfa. No pinch flats and much more confidence on the technical downhill sections. They weigh more (about 620g each) bu they're worth it.

Top Bottom