22 lb full sus bike?!?!?!?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
I was watching Specailized epic carbon bike on ebay - new cost £ 4.5 k, didn't quite make reserve but seller is saying it weighs in a 22 lb!!! ;)

eeek!! that is 10 kg.

Now if memory serves me well, way back I was looking at British Eagle road bike and that was pretty light in its day, 9.5 kg?!?!?!?

Hence the spesh is pretty darn light, even for road bikes.

Or is my memory playing tricks - was 9.5 kg about the norm back in the mid 80s for road bikes!???

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yup....9kg is a good weight...that's what my steel roadies weigh--from the 90's.......

RedBike

I don't see whats special about that. If anything 22lb seems a little heavy for a 4.5k bike.

My MTB is now well under 10kg. Soon to be sub 9kg when I swap the Reba suspension forks for rigid carbon forks.

RedBike

3820279798_2980bfbe44.jpg

montage

God Almighty
My carbon roadie is 9kg :laugh:

....but it is a 60cm frame....I think I could loose a fair bit by swapping out my compact cranks (which are solid)

mr Mag00

rising member
i didnt suggest it did, but that is why yours wil, be lighter. 22lb isnt heavy for a full sus bike

U

User482

It's very light but why do people get so hung up about it? I weigh 75 kg. My camelbak takes 2kg of water, plus pump, tube, multitool, food = 3kg minimum total. Add another 2kg at least for clothes, helmet & shoes. That makes a total of 80 kg, so a difference of 2kg for the bike is neither here nor there.

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
User482 said:
It's very light but why do people get so hung up about it? I weigh 75 kg. My camelbak takes 2kg of water, plus pump, tube, multitool, food = 3kg minimum total. Add another 2kg at least for clothes, helmet & shoes. That makes a total of 80 kg, so a difference of 2kg for the bike is neither here nor there.

it is very important - since the bike is powered by you, you use energy to move every gamme of yourself and every gramme of the bike.

Radius

SHREDDER
Given the current Trek Madone frame ways less than a full water bottle, 10kg is in no way light by bike standards of today. Isn't the UCI road bike minimum weight limit 6.9kg?

U

User482

02GF74 said:
it is very important - since the bike is powered by you, you use energy to move every gamme of yourself and every gramme of the bike.

The energy difference for powering 78 vs 80 kg is insignificant to most people. If you are a racer looking for the last few seconds of performance, it's worthwhile, but mtbers would be better off buying a bike that performs well unless they're a whippet that concentrates on non-technical terrain.

U

User482

Radius said:
Given the current Trek Madone frame ways less than a full water bottle, 10kg is in no way light by bike standards of today. Isn't the UCI road bike minimum weight limit 6.9kg?

Road bikes don't come with full suspension and disc brakes!

Top Bottom