Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think you would do better just going for a short walk first!

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I live at the bottom of a hill and each ride starts with a bit of a climb. I don't have a turbo trainer or rollers to gently warm up with, but was wondering if leaning against a wall and pedalling backwards for a while before a ride would work as a warm-up?
Not a great idea. Probably not particularly healthy for the bike amongst other things. Just take the climbs slower.

alicat

Legendary Member
Yes, just take the climb more slowly or ride around at the bottom for a while if it bothers you.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just walk the bike up the hill as the warm up, ride up it when you get home to make up for it

Or jog on the spot or up and down the stairs for 10 minutes before leaving home

Are you unable to get straight up the hill?

Reactions: mjr

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies. :smile: I can get up the hill but would prefer if I could ease into the ride. Will try doing some laps round the coffee table. Jogging that is, not on the bike.
How far is your ride? The first 5 minutes of my 20 min commute is up (a not v steep hill)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I dunno, I just suspect so because bikes are not designed to be pedalled backwards a lot.

In theory, it could lead to the pedals unscrewing themselves, but that's extremely unlikely in the real world. I can't think of any other potential mechanical problems, even hypothetical ones, unless you're riding fixed gear, which the OP presumably isn't.

Top Bottom