23mm Latex tubes in 28mm tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
So the problem I have is that I need the valves to be 60mm long because of the deep section wheels.

I've had 23mm Latex tubes in 25mm tyres with no issues, but going to 28mm might be stretching it a bit if you pardon the pun.

Or even if I could find a 25mm latex tube with a very short valve, say 30mm, I could then add a small valve extender.

But the only 25mm latex tubes I have found so far have 51mm valves which is neither one thing or the other. The shortest valve extender is 30mm I think, so adding that onto a 51mm valve isn't an option.

And 51mm on its own isn't quite long enough!

Thoughts or suggestions anyone?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Buy a 28mm tube with a long enough valve.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Which are?

They certainly roll faster than butyl tubes first and foremost, but that isnt my reason for choosing them partically. Lighter to, but again not my reason for preferring them

They are much better at sealing a puncture around a thorn or similar such item assuming that the object remains in place of course.

As well as the above, l prefer them because the ride generally seems more forgiving than with butyl tubes.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
You can get valve extenders if that’s an option? Sigma do several latex tubes

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Vittoria/Tubular-Valve-Extenders-30mm/FU7U

Yep got those very same ones and also the 51mm 25mm latex tubes from Sigma as a bundle deal.

But screwing the valve extender on the valve gives you a overall valve length of 81mm. Which is way to long and looks stupid. And yes lve tried just adding a valve extension on just so that l can inflate the tyres, but it's not been very successful to be honest.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
I can't for the life of me see how one inner tube rolls faster than any other.

And I quote:
The rolling resistance of tyres comes from the force needed to bend the tyre where it contacts the road. But the inner tube has to bend too, so if it’s thick, then the rolling resistance of the whole combination goes up.

The flexibility of the inner tube material makes a difference too. Inner tubes are made from either synthetic butyl rubber or natural latex rubber. Latex is more flexible and thinner too, so if you want to reduce rolling resistance then latex is the way to go. According to Jarno Bierman atbicyclerollingresistance.com, you’ll save 4-5 Watts using latex tubes over butyl tubes. That’s probably not a difference you can feel, but it’s one you can measure with a stopwatch.

Ajax Bay

Guru
"They’re expensive, high-maintenance and more likely to tear or blow but latex inner tubes offer a marginal gain that’s ideal for time trialling."
Vittoria says that a “standard butyl tube adds 5w per tyre” when compared with a latex tube.
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/latex-inner-tubes-worth-hassle-282066
They are much better at sealing a puncture around a thorn or similar such item assuming that the object remains in place of course. . . . l prefer them because the ride generally seems more forgiving than with butyl tubes.
How many punctures (per 100km of time trialling) are you getting to make the first reason valid?
More forgiving? Care to describe/share; or is this too ephemeral? Doesn't the tyre make/model have a much greater affect. I expect few contributors are running latex tubes so it'd be good to understand this from one who is.
If the OP is going to use latex tubes then they should have at least 60mm deep rims otherwise they're losing the aerodynamic advantage. 80mm valves will then be fine.

Top Bottom