23mm Latex tubes in 28mm tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Agreed 100% that using a latex tube in anything other than a high quality tyre is pointless IMHO.

For example using them in Vittoria Open Corsa tyres is about as close to the ride quality of a tub you will ever get from a clincher combo.

As for describing the ride quality it's a bit like trying to describe how beautiful a steel framed bike rides compared to carbon or alumiuim. You cannot put it in words, but you just know it's makes perfect sense.

From a practical sense yes 80mm (51mm valve plus a 30mm valve extender) valves work, but my OCD won't allow it.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
So just as a experiment, I fitted the Michelin Airstop 23mm latex tubes (60mm valves) into the 28mm tyres a couple of days ago, and left fully inflated. I was curios to see that if by fitting them into a larger diameter tyre than is suggested it would have any adverse effect on the air loss. And the answer is no, they have only lost roughly the same amount as they would have done in 23/25mm tyres.

So based on that, its road test time.....but it appears a possible win win ^_^

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Thread resurrection time! AlanW - I now have the 23mm latex tube in 28mm tyre? situation - how did it turn out after your 'works an absolute treat' ride? Any subsequent problems?

To be fair if you have 60mm wheels and then use a 51mm valve with 30mm valve extender, no one really cares if the valve sticks out by 21mm, and certainly can’t see it when the wheels are spinning plus it’ll be better for getting a track pump head around.

I’ve even used 60mm valves in 30mm deep rims😂

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Interesting that lots of shops are selling a 19mm - 28mm Challenge latex tube (19-28, 47.5), and Challenge list 23mm - 30mm latex tubes. Implies a considerable latex stretchiness.
(Valve length no problem, bikingdad90)

Top Bottom