25 mile loop vs. 5 mile sprint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
which one would lose me more weight?....how long is a bit of string ....but in general terms? assuming similar gradiants etc

I don't have a calorie thing on a computer....

Kies

I heard Laura Trott once say a slower steady ride will lose you more weight. Works for me

Thomk

Guru
Mmm. So which burns more calories:
  1. 25 mile bike ride at 10 mph taking 2.5 hours
  2. 25 mile bike ride at 20 mph taking 1.25 hours
The laws of thermodynamics seem to me to indicate that it would be the same but I'm not sure...

Peter Armstrong

Über Member

Sca1ey

Mmm. So which burns more calories:
  1. 25 mile bike ride at 10 mph taking 2.5 hours
  2. 25 mile bike ride at 20 mph taking 1.25 hours
The laws of thermodynamics seem to me to indicate that it would be the same but I'm not sure...
Not sure about the laws of thermodynamics, but the laws of cycling tell us about power being a cube of speed (or something) which means that going twice as fast takes more than twice as much energy. I'm sure an Educated Person will be along shortly to talk Science.

Tommy2

Über Member
What about Tabata or HIIT, haven't they been proven to increase metabolism and fat burning for longer after exercise than steady state exercise.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
What about Tabata or HIIT, haven't they been proven to increase metabolism and fat burning for longer after exercise than steady state exercise.

5 miles is 20% of 25 miles. Even if you did the 5 miles as high intensity training you would not make up that 80% difference.

Top Bottom