25 mile loop vs. 5 mile sprint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amaferanga

Veteran
25 kCals per Km, + 25 kCals per 100m climbing. Any speed.

That's a very, very, very rough guess, not some kind of revelation.

Chris Norton

Here we go on Heart Rate training. I'm sure I read an article by Chris Carmichael (or someone reiterating the science) all about it.

There are HR zones and each one has particular ways of effecting you. I've read long slow rides will increase weight loss more than massive sprints which increase anaerobic performance.

It's a real mind blower as there are definatly quite an enourmous amount of opinions on the subject.

Garz

Squat Member
so a 25 mile steady ride burns more than a heart thumping sweat pouring mind spinning sprint around the block. ..never liked the sprint thing anyway:laugh:

No this is bollocks as whacking out 5 miles at full pace with little to zero warm up time is stupid. Why not ride for 20 mins at steady pace then do your five mile sprint.. which one would lose you more weight? - The 25 miler with a sensible diet, no point in training hard if you eat like a moron.

wakou

Über Member
Hmm, I sort of agree with him ^^^, but no need to be so rude! To the OP, do both, do your 25 mile loop, but really go as hard as you can manage on the last five miles...

Ningishzidda

The most effective way to shed body fat on a bicycle is to put your turbo trainer in a cold room at 0C, and have a fan blowing at you while you are riding at 75% MHR, NAKED.

I work a double day shift pattern. So the week im on afternoons i just do a 5 mile loop 3 times (including a nasty climb!) at full speed, approx an hour. When on mornings i can go out for longer rides so do a couple of hours +.
So in short, 1 week sprints. 1 week distance. Best of both worlds

Top Bottom