25 to 27

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
Ive managed to get myself a Giant Defy 2 (2010) model for a very good price, however, its not 100% what i wanted (the price swung it) as it has a rear cassette of 25T.

Took it out for a ride today and struggled on the hill i get up on my hybrid.

After some net research i think i can swap the cassette for a 12-27t without changing the chain or rear mech.

How much difference will it make?

or do i change to a deore RD, 12-32t and a longer chain?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How much difference will it make?

or do i change to a deore RD, 12-32t and a longer chain?
It would only be a 7.5% lower bottom gear. If your current bottom gear is almost low enough, then it might be enough of a drop. If you need a big reduction though, then that 12-32 would be a better bet. That would give you a huge drop in bottom gear of about 22%.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
It would only be a 7.5% lower bottom gear. If your current bottom gear is almost low enough, then it might be enough of a drop. If you need a big reduction though, then that 12-32 would be a better bet. That would give you a huge drop in bottom gear of about 22%.

I am thinking of finding a cheap used one on ebay and trying it.

Would 7.5% be very noticable?

I almost got up the hill that i can do on the hybrid, it was just a little bit too much for me.

12-32 is my probable route to give me the climbing i need long term.

Nearly there

Veteran
My bike came equipped with a 12-26 cassette and Ive just bought a spare set of wheels and fitted a 12-27 cassette to them which I tried out yesterday,but couldnt decide if there was any benefit when climbing a regular hill over the 26 Maybe jumping from a 25 to 27 will.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have ridden a SRAM 11-32 and it was very gappy big jumps.

I had a 105 short cage 11-28 on a model 5600 & 5700. which was ok, but since switched to a 25-11t

does the Giant have a compact double up front? You would have thoguht youwould need a longer chain for a 27 to 32?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am thinking of finding a cheap used one on ebay and trying it.

Would 7.5% be very noticable?

I almost got up the hill that i can do on the hybrid, it was just a little bit too much for me.

12-32 is my probable route to give me the climbing i need long term.
7.5% would be a help, but not a big help! The trouble with the 12-32 is that the steps between the gears will be bigger and a lot of people don't like that. I think that is what I have on my MTB and the steps do feel a bit huge at the low end (between the bigger sprockets). Nice wide range of gears though ...

If you were that close to making it with a 25 then maybe a 27 and a bit of extra fitness is all that you need? (Mind you, there is always a steeper hill somewhere down the road, or you come to the hill when you are tired, or there is a strong headwind ... :whistle:)

I used much higher gears when I was fitter than I do now, but I don't see any advantage in riding with gears that feel too high. They only put you off riding hills or you end up walking.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
Its a compact with 50/34 up front.

Ive read that a deore rd (long cage) and a 12-32 will be ok, although a longer chain will be needed.

Might be a bit of a big jump tho, although my mtb has a 36 rear!

27 will fit straight on with no chain problems if i am reading everything right.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
7.5% would be a help, but not a big help! The trouble with the 12-32 is that the steps between the gears will be bigger and a lot of people don't like that. I think that is what I have on my MTB and the steps do feel a bit huge at the low end (between the bigger sprockets). Nice wide range of gears though ...

If you were that close to making it with a 25 then maybe a 27 and a bit of extra fitness is all that you need? (Mind you, there is always a steeper hill somewhere down the road, or you come to the hill when you are tired, or there is a strong headwind ... :whistle:)

I used much higher gears when I was fitter than I do now, but I don't see any advantage in riding with gears that feel too high. They only put you off riding hills or you end up walking.

Well i admit my hill climbing technique is crap at the best of times anyway :blush:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I did the swop on my other halfs bike a short time ago because she was struggling with a couple of hills we do, but the last few rides we have done she has not needed the 27 tooth gear, i would persivere with what you got, you will get used to it, and the closer ratios do feel so much better.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I changed an 11 25 cassette for an 11 28 on my Scott and it made a big difference on climbs.

I was replacing a worn chain at the same time anyway so dont know if I really needed to or not.

beastie

Guru
+1 for an 11-28. When I was heavier (2.5 stone) anything nearing a 10% gradient put me in the red very quickly. Changing from an 11-25 to an 11-28 meant I could manage steeper climbs straight away.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
I changed an 11 25 cassette for an 11 28 on my Scott and it made a big difference on climbs.

I was replacing a worn chain at the same time anyway so dont know if I really needed to or not.
+1 for an 11-28. When I was heavier (2.5 stone) anything nearing a 10% gradient put me in the red very quickly. Changing from an 11-25 to an 11-28 meant I could manage steeper climbs straight away.

Would an 11-28 need a long cage rd or longer chain?

beastie

Guru
It works fine with a medium (gs) rd. I replaced the chain as it was worn anyway, it was 2 or 3 links longer, going by large-large and add a few.

Top Bottom