25 years to late

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
OldManGraham

OldManGraham

Welcome aboard Graham, another East Yorkshire resident here, but I'm actually a Wessie, please don't hold that against me :laugh: It's a great area for cycling, some lovely quiet lanes & most of the drivers round here are quite good too which helps the whole experience :okay:
Whereabouts in EY are you, it's a big old spot
Thanks for the welcome, I'm in Gilberdyke 😁

OP
OP
OldManGraham

OldManGraham

Where in East Yorkshire?
A small village called Gilberdyke

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks for the welcome, I'm in Gilberdyke 😁

@Soltydog didn't you join the York-Humber Bridge circuit ride near Gilberdyke?

I remember you coming towards us, saying hello before pulling a swift u-turn and seamlessly joining the group.

We didn't have to break pace.

It's only a small thing, but the neat and fuss free way in which you joined us made me think this guy's going to fit right in.

Which, of course, you did.

OP
OP
OldManGraham

OldManGraham

Welcome!

My best tips?

Little and often, at first.
Look around you and enjoy your surroundings.
Remember you are a valid road user too.

Good luck!
Fourth time out Sunday managed 18 miles, not amazing but good for me, all geared up now apart from my Pump, which I think is arriving via donkey express anytime before November from China ... 😳👍

OP
OP
OldManGraham

OldManGraham

Yes, I got off the train at Gilberdyke & rode out towards Eastrington where I met you all :okay: It's a nice part of the country for cycling, plenty of flat options & the Wolds are not too far away either 👍
When was this? Me and a friend were out Sunday lunchtime, whilst have a breather nr the river close to Faxfleet a large group passed us just before a sharp right turn along side said river.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yes, I got off the train at Gilberdyke & rode out towards Eastrington where I met you all :okay: It's a nice part of the country for cycling, plenty of flat options & the Wolds are not too far away either 👍

Yes, one of my favourite patches.

I recall cycling through one of the villages with my mate Steve, also from Sunderland.

"They are doing something right out here," he said after we passed yet another dream house.

When was this? Me and a friend were out Sunday lunchtime, whilst have a breather nr the river close to Faxfleet a large group passed us just before a sharp right turn along side said river.

A while ago.

It was on a York-Humber Bridge-York forum ride.

Some members on here run group rides which they post on the CycleChat and Recreational Rides section of the forum.

That ride is one of the longer ones at about 105 miles, although much of it is flat.

Everyone is welcome on forum rides, and I can tell you the riding and company are always top notch.

I expect (hope) the leader of that one, @ColinJ, will run it again next year.

The full ride might be a bit much for you, even after lots more riding, but plenty of folk join rides for part of them - whatever suits.

The virus has rather killed the activity this year, but if you track back a page or two of that section you will get a good idea of how it works.

https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/cyclechat-recreational-rides.47/

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It was on a York-Humber Bridge-York forum ride.

Some members on here run group rides which they post on the CycleChat and Recreational Rides section of the forum.

That ride is one of the longer ones at about 105 miles, although much of it is flat.

Everyone is welcome on forum rides, and I can tell you the riding and company are always top notch.

I expect (hope) the leader of that one, @ColinJ, will run it again next year.
The damn virus situation has killed off my interest in organising forum rides this year! Even if guidelines allow such activities I want to wait until we've all had the chance to be vaccinated. I have had horrific personal experience of the kind of damage that Covid-19 can cause** and am determined to try to avoid going through that again. Hopefully, the trials currently underway will find a safe and effective vaccine by the end of this year****.

** Approximately 1/3 of Covid-19 deaths are caused by blood clots in the lungs.

*** I'm not really convinced that the vaccine announced by Russia over the past couple of days can possibly have been developed and rigorously tested since March!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The damn virus situation has killed off my interest in organising forum rides this year! Even if guidelines allow such activities I want to wait until we've all had the chance to be vaccinated. I have had horrific personal experience of the kind of damage that Covid-19 can cause** and am determined to try to avoid going through that again. Hopefully, the trials currently underway will find a safe and effective vaccine by the end of this year****.

** Approximately 1/3 of Covid-19 deaths are caused by blood clots in the lungs.

*** I'm not really convinced that the vaccine announced by Russia over the past couple of days can possibly have been developed and rigorously tested since March!

I think the chances of a vaccine, tried and tested, and crucially, available to all by the end of the year are remote.

We will do well for one of those stages to be met, let alone all of them.

Regrettably, I now qualify as high risk for several reasons.

Group riding is off the menu for me at the moment, not least because I am physically unable to ride a bike.

On the bright side, I am now shuffling about on my feet having been all but confined to a wheelchair six weeks ago, so progress is being made.

Oh, and I've been tested for the virus four times, each negative.

Hopefully, two things will have happened by next year's cycling season.

I will have made enough progress to manage a group ride, and there will have been enough general virus progress for you to feel able to organise one.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Group riding is off the menu for me at the moment, not least because I am physically unable to ride a bike.

On the bright side, I am now shuffling about on my feet having been all but confined to a wheelchair six weeks ago, so progress is being made.
I noticed and regretted your absence from the forum. I hope your health continues to improve.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I noticed and regretted your absence from the forum. I hope your health continues to improve.

Thanks, so do I.

Typical middle aged bloke, I had been taking reasonably good health for granted.

The last few months have certainly proved that you never know what's around the corner.

In my case, that proved to be a bus on my side of the road.

Top Bottom