250 mile in 24 hours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The other basic thing to work on is physical and muscular endurance. This just basically means getting regular long rides in, at an easy pace. Otherwise known as time in the saddle as opposed to a distance target you have a time target. Without this endurance you’ll find you just get fatigued and you begin to ache all over after a few hours on the bike. The speed you can ride at will drop, and legs ache in strange ways, not just cramps. Best done at low intensity when building up, so that it becomes repeatable day after day, after a while.

Without long distance repeatability, your short term and top end speed means nothing.

Tribansman

Veteran
Agree with most of what's been posted already.

As well as the main things already mentioned, the wind is a huge factor over such a long distance. If you can, try and hold 3 or so days clear so you can pick the best conditions. If you're doing there and back, either a northerly or southerly wind would probably be preferable if there's any strength to it, or opt for the lightest wind day if you'll have a headwind one way. Probably goes without saying, but try to plan so you can start from either coast so you can have any tailwind on the return leg.

Although you can only plan so far. I did 240 miles (Letchworth to Whitby) in 21 hours a couple of years ago, wind forecast changed the night before so ended up riding into a cross-headwind the whole way, and most of the climbing was at the end in the North York Moors so felt pretty brutal! The coast to coast will prob have a lot more climbing than my route, but it should help being more evenly spread out.

So probably a good idea to include lots of riding into a headwind and climbing into your training.

Also factor in more stopping time than you think you'll do in terms of targeting a rough average moving speed you want to maintain. When I did a 1200km audax where there was a time limit, I had both moving time and overall time displayed on my Wahoo so I could keep track of stopping time. it's amazing how much time you fritter away through faffing, especially when tired!

Good luck

Last edited:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
But will it be fun ?
Type 2 fun.
4B1D5706-B244-4DF1-A513-6607FD3A1661.png

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Going back to the OP, it is a hell of a jump from 40 miles to 250 miles is a hell of a jump. If you add in the fact that is is the C2C route twice (approx 8000m) of ascent, that turns it into a ridiculous leap. I did C2C in day once, it hurt.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Going back to the OP, it is a hell of a jump from 40 miles to 250 miles is a hell of a jump. If you add in the fact that is is the C2C route twice (approx 8000m) of ascent, that turns it into a ridiculous leap. I did C2C in day once, it hurt.
I've watched people finish in Whitby on the C2C in a day, a lot look completely battered!

Trickedem

Guru
Perfectly achievable if you have the right amount of fitness. I have done number of 400k Audaxes and completed them within 24hrs and this has included events without facilities. I have also needed to have a little nap along the way. You won't know if this will be necessary for you until you have done some longer rides. There are unlikely to be many organised events before June, so you are going to have to do self supported rides.
I would suggest a good training idea would be to book a cheap Travelodge about 125 miles away. Ride to it, have a sleep and ride home, but don't bust a gut about finishing within 24 hours.
You will also need to make sure you can handle the hills ok. Your ability on this, will be determined by where you live.

Best of luck.

johnblack

Über Member
It's absolutely doable, keep the amount of ascending manageable and add a few miles on if that suits your riding.

My longest is only 187 miles, (home to Exeter) riding time of 10 hours, we kept the route mainly to back roads, it added a few miles but was far more pleasant, managed to chop out some climbing, but from 100-150 climbing was unavoidable, just made sure we didn't push too hard 75-100 to save the legs a bit.

It's great to have a challenge to look forward to and keeps you motivated to do the training. I did a lot of shorter interval sessions on a watt bike during the week and enjoyed a long ride at the weekends, made sure I brought my weight down slowly towards the ride date but held it steady nearer the day. I'd done a fair few centuries already so new I could do it. Your big task is to build up the time in the saddle so you have the confidence that you can complete it as you ride into unknown territory, if your mind is strong your half way there.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Build up to 100 miles, then do two 100 milers on successive days. Then ride a few 150 milers spread out. Once you can do this it should be OK physically to do.
This really, when you can comfortably knock-out 100/150 milers without too much stress then 250 is not such a big leap.
I agree with @Dogtrousers that just make it as a ride in one go. It's more pleasurable that way!
Get some all-night riding experience in because your body goes through real peaks and troughs through the night and then dealing with the lack of sleep. Also response to cold varies in the small hours and cycling alone in the dark hour after hour is a tad spooky too!
Get used to eating plenty of nosh and still riding.
Finally...plan your route metre by metre. I followed lots of NCN routes and really wished I hadn't as often they made progress incredibly slow and turgid - lots of stop-starting etc.

I have only done one (long - for me) ride of 220 miles, it started with a gentle FNRttC from London (departing midnight) to Bognor, a big fry-up for brekkie with 2 pints or Guinness and then a solo lumpy ride from Bognor along the coast to Deal. Not an ideal time to start frankly midnight, but I was comfortable enough plodding along and could easily have done more miles as long as they were flattish - my climbing legs had deserted me.
27 hours in all.

Would love to do another....

Top Bottom