2500 mile service should I expect to have to change cassette & chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
I don't know who or BR is/are, but the quoted Quade is certainly not an engineer. Besides, he uses the word "Stretch", so I can't take him seriously.

It is ridiculous to think that the roller can wear sideways without causing pin wear. How on earth does he propose that you pedal with less torque than the tiny lateral force applied to a chain that's not running in a perfect chainline. He proposes a pedaling torque of say 10 or 12 NM for thousands of kilometers. C'mon!

Further, have a good look at the number of links between the guide pulley and sprocket - the chain shift area. See for yourself if you think flexibility can influence this. Just turn your bike upside down and look at this.
I'd rather assume and hope BR (bike radar) wouldn't publish rubbish. And there lies the never ending problem with the Internet, one question, 16 different answers.
I'm not suggesting the above is absolutely correct, I don't know of course who is right, I have no idea if you, they or anyone else is....it's all unsubstantiated (to me) words. It's sounds plausible, so that's enough to allow me to simply consider the fact.

An analogy....a Nigerian guy told me he had a million squid waiting for me if I give him my bank details. They're just words to me, same as yours and BRs and anyone else's I could dig up. Plausibliity is my driving consideration.

It's all hypothetical, I've never got a chain to the stage where it could or couldn't cause that problem....so I'm just musing and discussing.

Debade

Über Member
Appreciate the input. It seems I need some chain edumacation. Thanks

Not totally in context but you can see in this pic how chain stretch can destroy a sprocket, I was surprised they managed to ride it down..

View attachment 352262

That's actually a very interesting photo to us chain geeks. I'm going to guess it is a motorcycle wheel and the chain drives on the left of the wheel? The reason the chain didn't skate all the time is because of good chain wrap and the lack of a tensioner. There comes a point very soon after this stage, that the chain just lifts and skates in spite of wrap.

This doesn't happen on a cassette though but could happen on a singlespeed without tensioner.

Top Bottom