27" rims and fast tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any of you boys tried these? Kinlin T10 Alloy Rim 27 x 1-1/4"

I am in need of some 40 hole 27" rims and these are all I can find world wide. They come in 32, 36 and 40 hole and are cheap but are they any good?
Didn't see these when I was looking last year. Kinlin rims are usually good quality, though these are still only single walled

OP
OP
H

Holeshot

Regular
Blimey you must of really wanted a Pro to have it shipped from the states. Panaracer tyres are well worth the money you may be lucky and find some 1 1/8" or even 1" depends what you want from your tyres I have Schwalbe's on mine.

Well, I know it was a bit OTT getting it from so far away, but it just worked for me timing wise etc:sad:
Your Pro looks fab - love it! Those tyres look spot-on.

@biggs682 - I used Bikeflights who aren't too unreasonable - the seller is very co-operative and a real Viscount nut.

@davidphilips - I've been thinking about 700Cs and looks like the front callipers have loads more drop left in them - just waiting to see whether the rear has any left too.....
Is there any tangible difference to running the 8mm diameter smaller wheels?? Would the purists sneer at me?

@midlife - yes - the rims were for tubulars but mismatched and one had a flatspot - besides, I'd want to ride clinchers anyway as this will become a regular/commuter ride so can't be doing with the faff of tubs.

Anyway, here's a photo without the wheels/hubs. Hope you like it......
Forgot to mention it had replacement forks during the recall period with the original owner.

Thanks for all the help guys:okay:

Cheers, Hilton.

11qtzci.png

Alan O

Über Member
I've been thinking about 700Cs and looks like the front callipers have loads more drop left in them - just waiting to see whether the rear has any left too.....
Is there any tangible difference to running the 8mm diameter smaller wheels?? Would the purists sneer at me?
I have a bike on which I've recently swapped from 27" to 700c wheels (similarly so I can use tyres not available in 27" versions). I guess my cranks are going to be 4mm closer to the ground (actually a bit more seeing as the 700c tyres are narrower too), but there's still plenty of pedal strike clearance and it really doesn't feel any different in size - all I can really feel is the difference in tyres. As for purists, without inspecting closely, most people won't even notice the difference.

stevevw

Guru
It is the front brake drop on mine that limits me to 27" with the Dura Ace Black calipers and the so called death forks. are yours Dura Ace centre pulls?

20161006_192458.jpg

I would defiantly go 700c on this as you already know they will fit and work with your brakes. As for tyres a nice gum wall open tubular something like a challenge open tubular would look and work great.
Mine is now sporting the telephone dial crank too that I have polished to an inch of its life.

Viscount.jpg

OP
OP
H

Holeshot

Regular
It is the front brake drop on mine that limits me to 27" with the Dura Ace Black calipers and the so called death forks. are yours Dura Ace centre pulls?

I would defiantly go 700c on this as you already know they will fit and work with your brakes. As for tyres a nice gum wall open tubular something like a challenge open tubular would look and work great.
Mine is now sporting the telephone dial crank too that I have polished to an inch of its life.

View attachment 410521

Wow @stevevw !
That's gorgeous!!! Must look knockout with the crankset on?

Unfortunately my brakes are rather less glamorous:
148kc37.png

It's looking more and more likely that I'll be putting 700Cs on it - but all depends on the rear calliper/.
The front does look like it's got plenty of drop left tho.

Cheers,
Hilton.

wonderdog

Viscount Super Sport came with HP wheels (clinchers) but the Pro was usually built for sprints / tubs ?
I replaced the tubs on my Pro early on, with Araya 1" rims and Panaracer tyres. I have a set of nylon (near slick) tyres which have recommended PSI up to 115. They look gum-wallish ... will check brand when I can get to the workshop.

wonderdog

Wow @stevevw !
That's gorgeous!!! Must look knockout with the crankset on?

Unfortunately my brakes are rather less glamorous:
148kc37.png

It's looking more and more likely that I'll be putting 700Cs on it - but all depends on the rear calliper/.
The front does look like it's got plenty of drop left tho.

Cheers,
Hilton.
Viscounts were originally fitted with the company's own centrepulls - essentially a Mafac Racer knockoff - but identifiable by a "V" reversed out of a red background on both pivots. They never impressed me much and I replaced them with a set of Weinmann Carerra sidepulls

rrarider

Veteran
@Holeshot i will have to look at bikeflights pricing then

very nice indeed if it was on tubs and sprints they would surely have been 700's anyway
Do competitive cyclists still use tubs? I remember back in the 1980s, two competitive cyclist friends of mine both used tubs on their track and road bikes. As a mere leisure cyclist it all seemed a bit of a faff to me, with all that sewing and gluing and carrying around a complete tyre on training rides.

I wonder now if advances in technology, e.g. light Kevlar beads, have made the tubs unnecessary, at least for road races?

stevevw

Guru
All this talk about Viscount's has bought back fond memories of these great bikes and has given me the itch for another one .

This link Any guess's on what i won over the weekend ? goes back to a Lambert i had a while back which were the fore runners to Viscount

Well Mr. Biggs I have this one you can have for the price of the paint and transfers. You must have enough parts sitting around to finish it off.

2016-06-02 20.14.37.jpg

wonderdog

It has your name on it Mr B.figuring out how to get it to you is just a matter of time ^_^
Did you ever get the bottom bracket/spindle sorted? I've just picked up another Viscount and, after much heat and lumpenhammering, finally got the old knackered bearings out to reveal an immaculate spindle. BTW, does yours have the original pedals? They were Viscount/Lambert's own design with needle roller bearings ... serious overkill and part of an amazing value for money package at the time.

Top Bottom