27" rims and fast tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

woodbutcher

Veteran
Did you ever get the bottom bracket/spindle sorted? I've just picked up another Viscount and, after much heat and lumpenhammering, finally got the old knackered bearings out to reveal an immaculate spindle. BTW, does yours have the original pedals? They were Viscount/Lambert's own design with needle roller bearings ... serious overkill and part of an amazing value for money package at the time.
Sorry for the late reply and yes l did finally sort out the bottom bracket/spindle by cheating. ie l installed a Shimano b/b cassette which l have to say is pretty smooth. Finished the whole thing off with a nice Strong Light crank set.When I bought the bike it had no pedals unfortunately, l would have liked to see V/L's designed pedals !

stevevw

Guru
It has your name on it Mr B.figuring out how to get it to you is just a matter of time ^_^

Well I am going to Anjou Velo Vintage on the 21st to 27th June and a friend is transporting the bikes down in a van, I am sure we could squeeeeeze another one in on the way back if you was thinking of going to the event? which I can vouch for as well worth the effort.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well I am going to Anjou Velo Vintage on the 21st to 27th June and a friend is transporting the bikes down in a van, I am sure we could squeeeeeze another one in on the way back if you was thinking of going to the event? which I can vouch for as well worth the effort.

@stevevw no i wasn't thinking about going to the event and i dont think @woodbutcher was ?

it's just a bike we need bringing back ?

stevevw

Guru
I got a pair of the Kinlin T10 Alloy Rim 27 x 1-1/4" in the post yesterday. For the money I am impressed with the quality. The only reservation is they do feel a bit on the hefty side. But they look like they will build in to some nice strong and true wheels that will get another classic 40 hole rear hub back doing what it was designed for. I will let you all know how they perform once the spokes arrive and I have them built.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Did you ever get the bottom bracket/spindle sorted? I've just picked up another Viscount and, after much heat and lumpenhammering, finally got the old knackered bearings out to reveal an immaculate spindle. BTW, does yours have the original pedals? They were Viscount/Lambert's own design with needle roller bearings ... serious overkill and part of an amazing value for money package at the time.
The 'case hardening' on old spindles was far better than nowadays, made down to a price.

stevevw

Guru
Built the wheels on Racelite hubs and they have come out very nice. Not ridden them yet that will be later in the week once the rest of the bike is finished. They have come out at 3.3 kilo's with freehub, tubes and tyres for the pair. Not the lightest but plenty strong enough to last a long while.

ChrisEyles

Guru
If you're sticking with 27" wheels, I can second the recommendation for Panaracer Paselas. I've got them on my best bike (1960s Cinelli Riviera - fitted out with the same distinctive Lambert & Viscount drilled chainring as pictured up thread) and they are very nice indeed.

Top Bottom