28mm innertube into a 25mm tyre ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
As the title says....
Somehow ive ended up with a Continental 28mm innertube :rolleyes:.

Any issues with putting it into a 25mm tyre ? Will its larger diameter allow me to get sufficient pressure into it, within a smaller tyre ?.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I reckon you'll be fine. It's the tyre that limits the pressure - you could easily inflate a 23c tube to a greater diameter than a 23c tyre.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Hmmm...i see the 28 Race does 18/25...but mines 28 Tour, for 38/37 :laugh:

No matter, i'll try it and see.

Thanks for the input all ;)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
if its meant for a 38/37 (i guess you mean 28/37) and you pump it up to a decent pressure it will blow the tyre off the rim. It will make a loud bang and it can wreck the tyre and the rim. Get the correct size and use that.
I've used the wrong size to get me home, but i wouldn't use it for everyday riding

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Steve Austin said:
if its meant for a 38/37 (i guess you mean 28/37) and you pump it up to a decent pressure it will blow the tyre off the rim. It will make a loud bang and it can wreck the tyre and the rim. Get the correct size and use that.
I've used the wrong size to get me home, but i wouldn't use it for everyday riding

Deep down, thats what is worrying me. Think i'll not bother then. Keep it for one of the hybrids

andrew_s

Legendary Member
If the tube is too big for the tyre, you get the following possible problems:
a) It makes fitting the tyre more difficult
:blush: It's easy to get part of the tube trapped between the rim and the tyre bead. This will be why the tyre can get blown off. It's not because a bigger tube puts more pressure on the tyre or anything.
c) You can get a crease in the tube inside the tyre, which may eventually rub through against the tyre and cause a puncture.

So, not ideal, but if it's on and in use there's not much reason to take it off.

If it's a 28-37 tube, it's 28 more or less unstretched, and not much bigger than the 25mm tyre. Problem (a) is the only one that's really likely.

Top Bottom