28T on a compact chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
insurin said:
I will try the saddle first ( seeings as that costs nothing) then get a shorter stem.

I have the same bike .

What you need to do is set the seat first to get your most efficient /comfortable position then adjust the reach .
For me i had a stem that is 1 cm shorter than the standard one and that suits me fine,though i flip the stem for a slightly less aero position as i am commuting and go for comfort.

This is a nice mini guide...

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAl_5e7bIHk

OP
OP
I

insurin

for those of you that have the same bike, whats the max tyre width you can get on. I tried whacking some 32mm but had no luck as it was catching the fork. I am thinking maybe I could get away with 28mm.

I really should change the title of this thread seeing as I have gone off topic a few times.

Tony Martin

[

A bit late this reply as I've only just spotted it. Anyway, if your right I wasted a few quid as I had already purchased a Ultegra cassette and asked my local dealer to set up the whole transmission. I had to accept their professional advise as they seemed to know what they were talking about. I also contacted the Shimano technical centre and they said the same, perhaps they tend to be cautious to maintain their reputation for smooth running. This was the last job on my bike that I had just built by buying all the parts on the internet and the dérailleur was the last bit and a mechanism I wasn't confident about setting up. At least they purchased the Ultegra cassette off of me. Set up works fine so I'm still happy.

QUOTE=porkypete;1275202]Insurin - AFAIK you can just swop the 36 for a 34 ring

Baffled by this.... My Ultegra rear mech copes fine with a 12-30 cassette AND a triple front with a 24T range. Shimano says this WAAAYYYY outside the range, but it works for me. Your jockey wheel catching on cassette sounds like either B screw adjustment to me, or your chain is wrong length. TBH mine's too short because it won't run big/big. Not that I'd want it to, but sometimes on a long ride you make a mistake.:sad:[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom