28T on a compact chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

insurin

I have a Carerra Virtuoso bike

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_272635_langId_-1_categoryId_165710#dtab

It has a compact chainset (Prowheel Gloria 50-36 compact chainset with cartridge bottom bracket) and an 11-25t cassette on the back. I need to get up some steepish hills with my panniers filled up.

I cannot change this bike at the minute. I need to know if I can get a 28t cassette on the back whether its 11-28 or 12-28. I am not fussed about whether its 11,12,13 etc but I need to be able to get up the hills.
Or alternatively, Can I swap the granny cog or smaller cog at the front to an even smaller one or even both

PpPete

Legendary Member
The Halfords spec sheet doesnt say exactly which Shimano mechs that model has but most Shimano rear mechs are rated up to at least an 11-27 cassette - and you can usually "push the envelope" a little.

You can probabaly get away with changing the inner front ring to a 34 too.

Don't forget new cassette means new chain too.

OP
OP
I

insurin

This is great news guys. Just as a sidenote if the mileage was low on the chain. Say between 50-100, could I not get away with just swapping the cassette out and keeping the current chain. Money is a real issue at the minute.

I also have a Specialized Tricross which has alexrims wheels and 32mm tyres, I bought some prolite wheels with 25mm tyres for commuting to work and the exact same cassette and the chain only works nicely with one cassette so I get the idea about chains and cassettes but was thnking because the mileage was low, I might get away with it.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If its a 10 speed ,Chain reaction have got Shimano 105 10 speed cassettes on offer at the moment for £33 . Donrt forget to access chainreaction through the cyclechat shop link so cyclechat gets a bit of commision.

OP
OP
I

insurin

Banjo said:
If its a 10 speed ,Chain reaction have got Shimano 105 10 speed cassettes on offer at the moment for £33 . Donrt forget to access chainreaction through the cyclechat shop link so cyclechat gets a bit of commision.

above has been noted. Unfortunately it is only 8 speed but I have had the email recently about 70% off chainsets, some very attractive prices.

Mark_Robson

insurin said:
above has been noted. Unfortunately it is only 8 speed but I have had the email recently about 70% off chainsets, some very attractive prices.
I have a Virtuoso as well, a 12/28 cassette will be fine and you wont need to change the chain either.
BTW all the components are fine with a 9 speed chain which reduces the need to trim. Just something to bare in mind if you decide that you want to change the chain.

OP
OP
I

insurin

Mark_Robson said:
I have a Virtuoso as well, a 12/28 cassette will be fine and you wont need to change the chain either.
BTW all the components are fine with a 9 speed chain which reduces the need to trim. Just something to bare in mind if you decide that you want to change the chain.

Mark_Robson, do you have the blue and black one (08) I think.
How can I reduce the stretch over my top tube. Compared to the Tricross where I'm like a kite, on the Carerra I seem to be very stretched. I have flipped the stem which does appear to be fairly long. Can I just buy a shorter stem? I do prefer the comfort of the Tricross to be fair.
This forum is fantastic. Really helpful. Thanks

A shorter stem is a fairly cheap and easy way to reduce any stretched posture, but is your saddle able to go any further forward? That is cheaper and even 1cm forward would make quite a large difference to your posture.

Tony Martin

insurin said:
I have a Carerra Virtuoso bike

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_272635_langId_-1_categoryId_165710#dtab

It has a compact chainset (Prowheel Gloria 50-36 compact chainset with cartridge bottom bracket) and an 11-25t cassette on the back. I need to get up some steepish hills with my panniers filled up.

I cannot change this bike at the minute. I need to know if I can get a 28t cassette on the back whether its 11-28 or 12-28. I am not fussed about whether its 11,12,13 etc but I need to be able to get up the hills.
Or alternatively, Can I swap the granny cog or smaller cog at the front to an even smaller one or even both

I recently tried to fit a 12-28 cassette to my bike which was equipped with a Shimano Ultegra SL dérailleur and it wouldn't fit. Like you I wanted a climbing set-up so I purchased a triple chain set up front. The problem with a 28 cassette is it catches the dérailleur jockey wheel. I couldn't get a Shimano solution, so my local dealer made me up a 13-27 cassette using Miche components. Works a treat with the rest of the Shimano kit. Cost 45 quid.
Hope this helps.

Mark_Robson

insurin said:
Mark_Robson, do you have the blue and black one (08) I think.
How can I reduce the stretch over my top tube. Compared to the Tricross where I'm like a kite, on the Carerra I seem to be very stretched. I have flipped the stem which does appear to be fairly long. Can I just buy a shorter stem? I do prefer the comfort of the Tricross to be fair.
This forum is fantastic. Really helpful. Thanks
I have the red model which I believe is the 07 model. I'm 5' 9" and I find that the medium suits my dimensions. As already stated you can try moving the seat forward or replacing the stem to see if that makes a difference.

OP
OP
I

insurin

I will try the saddle first ( seeings as that costs nothing) then get a shorter stem.

I have just spoken to my lbs and told him what bike it is. He reckons he can get me a 30t on the back. We will have to wait and see about that. I will find a cheap one off ebay first and see if he can fit it. I will report back.

OP
OP
I

insurin

just another one to throw in the mix.

These compact chainsets, could I take off the 36 ring and swap it for a 34 or do you have to swap the pair (50-36).

PpPete

Legendary Member
Insurin - AFAIK you can just swop the 36 for a 34 ring

Tony Martin said:
I recently tried to fit a 12-28 cassette to my bike which was equipped with a Shimano Ultegra SL dérailleur and it wouldn't fit. Like you I wanted a climbing set-up so I purchased a triple chain set up front. The problem with a 28 cassette is it catches the dérailleur jockey wheel. I couldn't get a Shimano solution, so my local dealer made me up a 13-27 cassette using Miche components. Works a treat with the rest of the Shimano kit. Cost 45 quid.
Hope this helps.

Baffled by this.... My Ultegra rear mech copes fine with a 12-30 cassette AND a triple front with a 24T range. Shimano says this WAAAYYYY outside the range, but it works for me. Your jockey wheel catching on cassette sounds like either B screw adjustment to me, or your chain is wrong length. TBH mine's too short because it won't run big/big. Not that I'd want it to, but sometimes on a long ride you make a mistake.:becool:

Top Bottom