29er rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I need to fit a rack to a Cube 29er, like below.

Cube-Access-WLS-GTC-SL-2015-29er.jpg

The main issue is that the support arms need to drop very steeply to the rear stay mounting points. I've identified one which looks like it will fit but before I go ahead and order it, some real world advice of anyone solving this conundrum would be useful?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The rack in your link should fit, but you could do the job cheaper.

The £10 rack in my pic should also fit, the support arms have length adjustment and can be bent downwards.

It was on a Cannondale 29er MTB which has similar geometry to your Cube.

My rack is branded RSP, although there are many similar ones.

As you probably know, it needs to be disc specific, which basically means wide legs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Bicycl...416067?hash=item25b8838183:g:c~IAAOSwkNZUrAi3

P1000411.JPG

OP
OP
C

Crackle

The rack in your link should fit, but you could do the job cheaper.

The £10 rack in my pic should also fit, the support arms have length adjustment and can be bent downwards.

It was on a Cannondale 29er MTB which has similar geometry to your Cube.

My rack is branded RSP, although there are many similar ones.

As you probably know, it needs to be disc specific, which basically means wide legs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Bicycl...416067?hash=item25b8838183:g:c~IAAOSwkNZUrAi3

View attachment 341859
I have bodged one on like that before but those arms wouldn't be long enough to keep it horizontal, that's my conundrum. The lower mounting points on the Cube are right at the back of the rear triangle (not quite represented in the picture) which takes the rack back far enough to clear the disc caliper but creates a stupidly long reach for the top mounting points. Not being horizontal then brings any panniers into the heel area, as well as making them prone to come off.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Here's a pic of the rack fitted, which may help.

The bendy metal supports could go lower on the seat stays if they had to, but still leave the rack level.

Having said that, you mention panniers.

My rack will take them, but is more of a platform rack for a trunk bag.

The rack in your link is better for panniers.

-1.jpg

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Here's a pic of the rack fitted, which may help.

The bendy metal supports could go lower on the seat stays if they had to, but still leave the rack level.

Having said that, you mention panniers.

My rack will take them, but is more of a platform rack for a trunk bag.

The rack in your link is better for panniers.

View attachment 341870
I think the difference may be the Cube is a smaller frame size because your rack arms look quite a similar length to the ones on mine and it still wasn't long enough. The other thing Mrs C wants is to be able to get a rear guard of some kind on, which I don't think I'll be able to decide on until I fit the rack. Your front mudguard arrangement pretty much mirrors what I was thinking of doing.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Mmm, a small frame and enough heel clearance for panniers could be tricky.

The rack in your link - the supports for which throws the rack back - is looking like the best option.

Unfortunately, I doubt there will be much room under it for mudguards, although you might be able to customise something.

A rack is certainly one of those accessories that you can't be certain of fit until you offer it up to the bike.

If you were feeling brave - and flush - you could see if a Wingee would fit.

A what? It's a combined mudguard and lightweight pannier rack.

Not common, although Giant fit them to the ebike in the link.

https://www.herkelmannbikes.com/shop/wingee/wingee-w62-r369/

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/quick-eplus

Bendy metal strips are not up to that task. Look for a rack with rod or tubular stays.
Since stiffness is going to be an issue with the rack, avoid adjustable legs.
Tubus are always a goto rack.

Those low rack eyelets, well below the level of the wheel are design flaw for anyone intending to fit a rack. The problem is esp bad on small frame /big wheel bikes, and smaller GT frames.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

and flush

Not that flush!

Bendy metal strips are not up to that task. Look for a rack with rod or tubular stays.
Since stiffness is going to be an issue with the rack, avoid adjustable legs.
Tubus are always a goto rack.

Those low rack eyelets, well below the level of the wheel are design flaw for anyone intending to fit a rack. The problem is esp bad on small frame /big wheel bikes, and smaller GT frames.

Yes, you confirm what I was thinking when I found the Axiom. Tubus are good but again, more than I want to spend. It's not uncommon these days for that kind of geometry on bikes with 29 and plus size wheels, fat bikes etc. so racks are finally catching up.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No need to worry about the strength of rack stays for the seat stay mounting points.

All they do is prevent the rack form toppling/rotating around the leg mounting points, they carry no weight, so they don't need to be strong.

Racks designed to mount to a seat post clamp - for a frame with no bosses - only use one, which is plenty to tether the rack in place.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Arrived and fitted.

kyatkFBKv3nGKyqM1DvVwL8Xw5eAeacrB_WqV06yq0MqqUO7jcj7cZfzLgfDmkwU_5kN6LI1ubNEB2eIyP2WpdcLyyYdefEA.jpg

It's still not quite level but it will do. Panniers stay on nicely and are well clear of the heels. I think I'd struggle to find longer arms, in all other respects it fits well. I've cobbled a rear crudguard on backwards with cable ties. It does look a bit ugly but it should work. Front Zefal got trimmed after this shot as it was fouling the front crudguard when the suspension compressed.

It was a bike never bought for commuting which is what it's main purpose is these days, in fact it does many miles and it fits well and is comfortable, so purists will have to forgive it's cobbled up look.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Arrived and fitted.

View attachment 342640

It's still not quite level but it will do. Panniers stay on nicely and are well clear of the heels. I think I'd struggle to find longer arms, in all other respects it fits well. I've cobbled a rear crudguard on backwards with cable ties. It does look a bit ugly but it should work. Front Zefal got trimmed after this shot as it was fouling the front crudguard when the suspension compressed.

It was a bike never bought for commuting which is what it's main purpose is these days, in fact it does many miles and it fits well and is comfortable, so purists will have to forgive it's cobbled up look.

You could level it by fitting a second seatpost clamp - or similar - further up the post and tether the carrier to that.

Or you could get a seatpost clamp with carrier bosses and replace the existing clamp.

Quite hard to tell from the pic, but I reckon one of those would go some way to levelling the carrier.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acor-Seat-Clamp-Carrier-Bosses/dp/B007ZBRX7K

On t'other hand, a forward cant is good for pannier heel clearance.

Top Bottom