2nd hand bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
Agree with Swee'pea99 that there are plenty of bikes on ebay that do include postage. And there are some real bargains to be had.

The main thing you need to be careful about is making sure you get the sizing right. Some sellers have only a vague notion of what size their bike is, and you will see people quoting sizes in both inches and centimetres. In any case, as you will find if you search through some of the older threads, bike sizing seems to be more or an art than a science with different manufacturers using different ways of measuring their frames.

Given this, you should email the seller and ask how tall they are and how well the bike fits them. Most will give a sensible response.

[quote name='swee'pea99']Don't know how big you are or where you are or whether you're good with a spanner, but this is the kind of thing that goes for a song all the time.[/quote]

I 'clicked' on the ebay link to see that the bike advertised has a Reynolds 553 frame; I've never heard of 553 tubing - where does it sit on the Reynolds chart ? Is it 'better' than 531 ?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Dannyg said:
... email the seller and ask how tall they are and how well the bike fits them. Most will give a sensible response.
Absolutely - and the rest is good advice too. I would only add that emailing sellers (on spurious grounds if you can't think of any others) is a good idea in its own right. You can get a pretty good idea of what kind of person you'd be dealing with by how well, quickly, friendly-ly etc they respond.

Incidentally, a couple more 'for examples' I put friends onto recently: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAN-JANSSEN-S...ryZ33503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....ndexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

The Motobecane, I think, looks particularly gorgeous. £100, incl delivery.

OP
OP
colcazal

colcazal

Just to let you guys know that I manage to get a bike today. Found a place not to far away that recycles bikes. Called recyke a bike. A Charity organisation that re-uses unwanted cycles. So I have kept a bike from a landfill and gave 30 quid to charity. The bike will never win any awards, but it is in its original condition and has been stripped cleaned and serviced.

Thanks to all for advice and also thanks for the warm welcome.

Cheers,

Col

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
For anyone else looking for a cheep bike, Bumblebee Auctions might be an option. The difference between this and Ebay is than you know that it has been stolen, and that the police are aware of it because they are ones doing the selling....

gwhite

Über Member
There is a charity selling second-hand, reconditioned bikes "Recyke-a-byke" near you in Fallin, near Stirling. You can have a choice at anything between £30-£40. You can also feel smug in doing the "green" thing.

OP
OP
colcazal

colcazal

Just been out in my newly aquirred 2nd hand bike. I must say that I cannot grumble at all about it. What a difference being on a racer rather than a MTB. I am well pleased with it.

Its a peugeot and I think the bike dates to the 80s. The frame is a carbolite 103, Would anyone know if this was a decent frame for that decade. I know its a cart horse by todays standards.

If anyone in central Scotland is looking for a 2nd hand bike I can strongly recommend recyke a bike.

Cheers,

Col

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
There is also the bike station in Edinburgh. I can't remember the name, but there is a similar set up in Aberdeen too...

gwhite

Über Member
As well as recommending Recyke-a-byke I should really have mentioned my own project in Glenrothes which also sells refurbished bikes at an affordable price.

Danny

Legendary Member
colcazal said:
Just been out in my newly aquirred 2nd hand bike. I must say that I cannot grumble at all about it. What a difference being on a racer rather than a MTB. I am well pleased with it.

Its a peugeot and I think the bike dates to the 80s. The frame is a carbolite 103, Would anyone know if this was a decent frame for that decade. I know its a cart horse by todays standards.
From memory, Peugeot made OK rather than great bikes. My brother happily rode one for some years.

No reason why a 1980's bike should not be OK on the road, but if it still has the original gears, bottom bracket or wheels you should think about upgrading them as they will be pretty worn out by now if the bike was used regularly.

Recyke a bike or your LBS should be able to advise you.

Top Bottom