2nd hand bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colcazal

Hi all.

I am new to this site and new to cycling. I am starting to train for the First Monster challenge in sept. (20K cycle 10k run) The running section is no problem as I have been running for a while, but I am struggling with the cycling section. At the moment I am using a heavy mountain bike for my training. Does anyone know where I would be able to pick up a cheap road bike to train with?? doesnt have to be fancy! Any help or ideas would be great.

Cheers, Col
Falkirk
Scotland

wafflycat

OP
OP
colcazal

colcazal

tried ebay. Most bikes are pick up only. Living in scotland makes this a bit of a pain. Tried local adtrader etc, finding that road bikes are harder to come by than mountain bikes.. will keep looking though.

Cheers

I would agree with waffly on that. I got a really up-together Felt F85 which is about in the shops for £650. It is about 4 years old and is really as good as new for £140.

Ask questions about size etc. Avoild the ones who do not know much about it (nicked bikes). I had a 40 mile run to pick it up so consider where it is too. There are some good bikes out there but some do creep up a bit in price - so just set your own limit price and bit it with 10 seconds to go!

Also try Adtrader on line. Non so good but may get a local bargain you can pop round and look at.

You dealt with my points!

Yes you will get about 10 mountain to every one road bike. It is a bit more difficult if you are out of a big population area.

Plan B try clubs of cyclists in the local area. They often sell on their kit as they upgrade.

Plan C Hide on the LeJog route and mug someone who is too knackered to fight back.

killiekosmos

Veteran
colcazal,

try yout LBS for second-hand bikes. My LBS always has a few on the go. Meantime, keep training with the MTB as it will build up your cycling ability. Once you get a lighter road bike you'll think you are flying.

Your local bike shop may have a few on offer. If so, ask them to give it a rating and see if it meets your requirements.
Or check out the ads in the local paper; it might be easier to haggle with them than a shop. As long as the frame is sound, you can always add newer components.

OP
OP
colcazal

colcazal

LOL...Next time I am out running I will ambush a cyclist!! Cheers for tips. Just placed a wanted ad in adtrader. Wait and see!!

wafflycat

colcazal said:
tried ebay. Most bikes are pick up only. Living in scotland makes this a bit of a pain. Tried local adtrader etc, finding that road bikes are harder to come by than mountain bikes.. will keep looking though.

Cheers

Yup - I live in a rural area. If you want *that* bike you may have to be prepared to travel to pick it up. I've done just that in the past. Have driven to Somerset from Norfolk to collect *that* bike... It meant I got the one I wanted.

gbb

Legendary Member
I dont know whether you get Friday Ads up there colcazal...free in local shops and they have an online edition.
A good deals hard to come by, but i just missed one here...guy selling a special edition Euskaltel Orbea with Sora groupset...excellent condition...£150 xx(:ohmy::ohmy:
I rang him as soon as i saw it...
'no, sorry, it's gone' he said....
'i think i underpriced it' :?: he said

The point is, they are out there...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'd definitely endorse the ebay suggestion. Two tips: learn how to use ebay; and be prepared to be patient. (You've got till September, so a few weeks won't make too much difference.)

Click on 'advanced search' (you have to be ebay registered to use this - it's worth it, if you aren't already) and have a look at the options it gives you, then use the ones that apply. When you've refined your search, save it - then ebay will email you every day with new listings that match the criteria you've set. As you say, in your case, most 'colection only' options will be out. So be it. That leaves loads of others - and p&p's seldom more than about £25: factor that into the price you're prepared to pay. And checkout auctionstealer.com: it's free, and it will bid for you, so you get to bid at the last minute (which avoids driving the price up) and lets you set a price and not get carried away and over-bid in the excitement. There are some real bargains out there. Use Google to check out names you don't recognise. And like I say, don't be in too much of a hurry. They're like buses: you won't see one for a while, then three will come along all at once. Good luck!

OP
OP
colcazal

colcazal

Cheers, Will call LBS tomorrow. There seem to be a few around my area, so surely will find something. Good tip regarding training on MTB.

Cheers
Col:smile:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Don't know how big you are or where you are or whether you're good with a spanner, but this is the kind of thing that goes for a song all the time.

OP
OP
colcazal

colcazal

See what you mean about ebay! I really have to learn to use it more effectively.

I am a PSV technician so general repairs to bikes should be OK.

Hav checked out bike mags too, most biikes seem to be rather pricey for what I need it for.

Going to see a guy tomorrow who recycles bikes for the government. Called him today and he reckons he has 6 or so road bikes in stock. Not to far to travel either, so I will see how it goes.

Cheers,

Col

Top Bottom