2nd Imperial Century

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
At the beginning of the year, I set myself a goal of completing an imperial century before the end of the year.

I met that goal in late July so it would have seemed rude not to fit two in!!! So, today, I did just that - 102.07 miles in 5 hrs 55. Feel fantastic now (after a very hearty meal) and think I'm going to sleep like a log tonight!!!

Think I should make it three before winter sets in.

If you're planning your first century, my advice is - you can do it. Plan your course well, get your nutrition and hydration right, ride at your own pace and enjoy yourself.

That moment when the Garmin (or whatever you use) ticks over to 100 is priceless.

It's even better if you can share the experience with a few mates - you'll all start with enthusiasm and end very quietly and with a sense of humour failure looming - but once you are at home, showered and basking in the endorphin rush, it will be worth every pedal stroke.

Time for bed now, I think!!!! :-)

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Nice one :thumbsup:

I did my first a few weeks ago, and now fancy doing another but a bit quicker.

The first was an out and out charity ride and involved a lot of stops, next time the stops will be cut back and the pace maintained for longer.

Good luck for number 3
:bicycle:

Tight Git

Veteran
First one for me today 100 miles (as I got back into the carpark!) The Hell of the North sportive with 5800 feet of climbing.

I'm cream crackered!

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
Nice one :thumbsup:

I did my first a few weeks ago, and no fancy doing another but a bit quicker.

The first was an out and out charity ride and involved a lot of stops, next time the stops will be cut back and the pace maintained for longer.

Good luck for number 3
:bicycle:

Sounds good.

Let me know how it goes! I'm still hurting from today's 50 miler!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Well done I have done a few dozen centuries but none anything like as fast as that.:thumbsup:

Cyclist33

At the beginning of the year, I set myself a goal of completing an imperial century before the end of the year.

I met that goal in late July so it would have seemed rude not to fit two in!!! So, today, I did just that - 102.07 miles in 5 hrs 55. Feel fantastic now (after a very hearty meal) and think I'm going to sleep like a log tonight!!!

Think I should make it three before winter sets in.

If you're planning your first century, my advice is - you can do it. Plan your course well, get your nutrition and hydration right, ride at your own pace and enjoy yourself.

That moment when the Garmin (or whatever you use) ticks over to 100 is priceless.

It's even better if you can share the experience with a few mates - you'll all start with enthusiasm and end very quietly and with a sense of humour failure looming - but once you are at home, showered and basking in the endorphin rush, it will be worth every pedal stroke.

Time for bed now, I think!!!! :-)

Wow - is that total door to door time or time actually pedalling with the stops and starts subtracted? I never know how people manage that - it takes me 6 hours to do 75.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

:-)
Well done and a big +1 on the above .
Did a club run and i knew i had not properly feuled due to the wife thinking home made kfc stylee chicken + chips was a good pre ride supper and in the morning only having time for a quick bowl of cereal ,bloomin kids up and wife in bed till 15 mins before i was due to go out .
Got to 65 miles and i just died, the cake stop was at a little cabin that only had drinks + choccy bars so nothing really to bolster the reserves.

OP
OP
IanT

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
Thanks for the encouragement everyone - and sorry for the slow response (think it must have taken more out of me that I thought!!!) :laugh:

The actual door-to-door time was about 15 minutes longer. We deliberately kept the stops short and sweet. I think that it makes a difference riding a distance in a group - even with only three people, you still get a little break at the back every now and then. Think it would be harder as a solo effort - so big respect for anyone who does that.

To pick up on your point Cyberknight, I really agree that you need to fuel properly the night before. Fortunately, the wife cooked pasta the night before so I was able to indulge in a big bowl of it. Oddly, one of the fastest rides I ever did was the morning after a curry!!! Although, that may have been for different reasons!!!:whistle:

I also think that running regularly has also helped. I get an early morning 10 K in about three times a week and (this could be just in my head) but I'm sure it's helped my hill climbing. Sunday's route had a moderate amount of climbing - just under 3000 ft - so was not particularly testing.But the route did include a couple of long drag climbs that really sap the energy. I was finding that I was getting up those fine. That is where you can make up some real time.

The next century will be in a few weeks time - the Autumn Leaves Sportive. The actual route is only about 93 miles - so I will probably just add a little loop after the finish to get the extra miles. let's be honest; if you've ridden 93 miles, you may as well round it up, eh!!!

Top Bottom