How often do you do a century bike ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Serious question - on these state of the art training machines, do they accurately simulate forces and road traction so that you have to lean round bends and can slide out? If so, can you "feel" reaching the limit? .
No, not now but maybe that will come with time. At the moment they focus on making the pedals harder (or easier) to turn. That's realistic.

The question of whether turbo training, is a "real bike ride" or not is something that we've argued endlessly on here and it would be a shame if this interesting thread about centuries got hijacked into that as some people have very strong views.

So I'm going to stop hijacking it.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Every month if possible, once I start making excuses and skipping I lose my fitness so quickly it's hell starting over so I make more excuses, weight goes up, pain increases. It's not a heroic thing, it works for me. I like my cycling to be interesting too, challenging, scenic, new routes, new places, different cakes. Not knocking out the same one every time. Everyone is an individual and should do what works for them, don't be intimidated by others. ride the same route that works for me, do it on a turbo, don't ride centuries if you don't want to. I started cycling less than 10 years ago in my late 40s.

Falsesummat

Just a thought. I may fit an old cateye computer ( not gps) to my bike and see how far i can travel on a set of rollers. An imperial or metric century would be a challenge

honeybadger

I’m a stereotypical mile muncher that just loves to do long, hard rides. Be that on my roadbike or racing aboard my TT bike. Been recording my rides for about 10 years or so and in that time I’ve amassed 220, 100mile plus rides. (Including 6 200 plus road rides, 4 260 + 12hr TT and another 12hr TT that I did 310)
Guess I’m just blessed with a good endurance engine. :tongue:

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I’m a stereotypical mile muncher that just loves to do long, hard rides. Be that on my roadbike or racing aboard my TT bike. Been recording my rides for about 10 years or so and in that time I’ve amassed 220, 100mile plus rides. (Including 6 200 plus and one 12hr TT that I did 300)
Guess I’m just blessed with a good endurance engine. :tongue:

Which means that you go somewhere between twice and three times as fast as me! :smile:

Panscrank

Never.
Furthest I've ever done is 55 miles a few years back on my hybrid.
Did 40 miles a couple of weeks ago and nearly had a Connery!
(54, 18 stone, riding a Cannondale Dutch heavy hybrid)

Top Bottom