How often do you do a century bike ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
:smile: I'll get my popcorn out.
:popcorn:
I've never done an imperial century on the turbo but I did a couple of metric ones in 2020. Wiped me out completely.

No need, there are many ways to record distance, that's why the likes of Strava are happy to accept the efforts of indoor cycling and mark it down with distance too.

I find the unrelenting intensity over the distance recorded, far exceeds what you push yourself to outdoors -normally.

I've done the Cambridge UCI event a number of years ago-that is the only time I could say I cycled as hard as I do indoors- 80 miles flat out effort.

I tend to do 62milers for endurance workouts, but I had the opportunity to spend more time, so thought I'd have a go.

C R

Guru
Once. Ever.
*feels vaguely ashamed*

None, ever. Nor ashamed at all. Each rider has different levels of fitness, motivation, time available. I ride the distance I can in the time available when I manage to find the time.

Would I like to be fit enough and have the opportunities to do lots of centuries? You bet, but I'm not fit enough and don't have the time. I hope that I will eventually get the fitness and the time, but if I don't, no big deal.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I find the unrelenting intensity over the distance recorded, far exceeds what you push yourself to outdoors -normally.
Yesterday I ran into a bit of trouble half way into my century ride due to not being in good shape. So I eased off the effort, soft pedalled, freewheeled at every single opportunity and stopped for a quick sit down every time I saw a bench. It added an hour or more to the ride but it was pretty easy. It's amazing how efficient the bicycle is at moving you around.

freiston

Veteran
Yesterday I ran into a bit of trouble half way into my century ride due to not being in good shape. So I eased off the effort, soft pedalled, freewheeled at every single opportunity and stopped for a quick sit down every time I saw a bench. It added an hour or more to the ride but it was pretty easy. It's amazing how efficient the bicycle is at moving you around.

I've often wondered how much of my riding is actually pedalling and I often wonder this when out on the bike. As a youngster in the fens, most of it but in the bumpy north Warwickshire lanes, I probably pedal about 50-70% of the ride. That is very much a wild guesstimate. Most of my miles are on narrow winding lanes with bad surfaces and several inches of mud in the middle, where I have to have my wits about me, I cannot take full advantage of descents and my average speed rarely goes above 11mph but I like it that way.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Is a century recorded by Strava on an indoor trainer harder if you load your bike with 15kg of camping gear than if you just take a spare tube and a multitool? Asking for a friend :whistle:

Yes, because you can adjust the settings for the weight of the bike with your virtual camping gear.

(Caveat: Probably, it all depends what software you're using. I've never tried it. And I'll bet that entering 30kg for bike weight might confuse most training software. But theoretically, yes)

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, because you can adjust the settings for the weight of the bike with your virtual camping gear.

(Caveat: Probably, it all depends what software you're using. I've never tried it. And I'll bet that entering 30kg for bike weight might confuse most training software. But theoretically, yes)

What about headwinds and stopping and starting for junctions, lights, numpties doing 3 point turns etc :whistle:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What about headwinds and stopping and starting for junctions, lights, numpties doing 3 point turns etc :whistle:

Headwinds, theoretically yes, but practically probably not. I think I've seen training software that requires you to enter your drag coefficient. So if you were really clever you could tweak that maybe.

Frequent stops, and starts, sure. That's up to you. You could even get off and have a sit in a comfy chair and make brrm brrm noises while you imagine the numpty finishing his 3 point turn. :smile:

freiston

Veteran

So really that's a "no" to my question - because those settings are independent to and irrespective of what you have physically loaded to the bike. It's not a real difference caused by actual load but a virtual load programmed in to the training machine and resistance is metered out via an algorithm (I presume - can't think of any other way it could do it unless it's a lot simpler and just varies resistance according to the "weight" and consistently applies it throughout the exercise). Can you adjust the settings to allow for wind resistance and will it automatically give you extra resistance because of panniers, either positive or negative benefit according to changing direction of wind, eddies and gusts? Does zig-zagging help you get up a steep hill? Do you struggle to stop the heavily loaded bike rolling backwards when you stop on a steep hill. What happens if you're struggling and decide to get off and push?

Here's another question - if I wore ankle weights of x kilos, laid on my back and performed a pedalling motion in the air, would you accept that if I kept this up for n hours at y rpm, I could legitimately claim that I had cycled a century?

I used to be in an online "squadron", participating in flight simulator dog fights with what is claimed to be very realistic flight and damage modelling. I have had a limited amount of real flying experience and I did find the flight modelling very good. Would it be legitimate for me to claim that I have several hundred hours of combat flying? Several years ago, I played Grand Theft Auto but I won't go there.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Here's another question - if I wore ankle weights of x kilos, laid on my back and performed a pedalling motion in the air, would you accept that if I kept this up for n hours at y rpm, I could legitimately claim that I had cycled a century?
Sure, if you want, yeah.

You're mistaking me for someone who actually cares what people claim. I'm not the century police.

(I'd prefer it if you did the maths though, and calculated values for x, n and y. That might be quite interesting)

Edit: The more I think about this, the more I like it. Weights with accelerometers on the ankles, a VR headset and an app. Could be the next craze. I'm off to Kickstarter to raise some $$$. :smile:

Last edited:

freiston

Veteran
Sure, if you want, yeah.

You're mistaking me for someone who actually cares what people claim. I'm not the century police.

(I'd prefer it if you did the maths though, and calculated values for x, n and y. That might be quite interesting)

Nah, I didn't think that you cared what people claim but it was you that answered my question so it was you I quoted. Sorry if it seemed that I was singling you out as the Cressida Dick of the century police and please don't think that my response and questions below are aimed at you ^_^

Re. values for x, n & y: I would think that this would require knowing my wattage output during real cycling (which I haven't a clue about) and doing things beyond my ability to work out values to give a wattage output in the same region for on-the-spot "air-cycling" (a bit like "air-guitar"?). Even if I had the ability, I could imagine the validity of the calculations becoming an issue when really they're not. My (badly made) point is that it's not the physical work done that makes riding a bike to be "riding a bike" (whether the number of equivalent miles one attributes to that work is one or a hundred, whether you get a VR screen or not). The training device might be able to replicate the effort of a real bike ride but it is still very much not a real bike ride. Serious question - on these state of the art training machines, do they accurately simulate forces and road traction so that you have to lean round bends and can slide out? If so, can you "feel" reaching the limit? (When I did the flight simulation, the feedback through the screen and the joystick/rudder let you "feel" approaching the limit before a stall - different feedback for different aircraft).

I have some rollers but I rarely use them - I hate using them. I bought them when I was a bit more flush than I am now and had only just got back "into" cycling after many years of short distance commuting and utility rides on a crappy bike. I thought that they would give me the opportunity to build up some fitness over the winter ready for the spring.

I hadn't used rollers before but I had been on exercise bikes before. My experience of the rollers was a mixed bag. I really liked the fact that I had to work at staying upright. I hated the fact that I couldn't slow my cadence right down without falling off (for those that don't know - you have to be spinning to maintain balance). Balancing didn't come naturally - it is different to cycling on a road and I had to learn it. I had a simple bike computer with a front-wheel magnet and fork-mounted sensor and it told me how many "miles" I had done. My average speed was higher than my real-life average. My exercise was very different to real cycling - constant output with no ups, no downs but with several breaks. I could lower my gear to make the effort less and the breaks less frequent but the resistance wasn't realistic (even though I was effectively really riding a real bike but on a moving surface underneath me instead of me moving on a stationary surface). The whole experience was more like using a weight machine in a gym than it was like riding a bike. This is why I hated it and realised that I would rather go out in the rain on the bike for half an hour than get on the rollers.

Top Bottom