How often do you do a century bike ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can recommend Colin's imperials, Garforth and York-Hull are a good introduction and not crazy fast or difficult.
They are fun, but I reckon coming over from Illinois to ride them might be a wee bit too far... :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Never done an imperial century, but done lots of metric ones.

60 odd miles feels like a good enjoyable day out to me; anything more becomes a chore and on the few times I've exceeded 75 miles I start to get uncomfortable and unhappy.

I cycle for pleasure not pain.

I am finding 100 hilly miles a bit much these days, but 100 flat mile rides are still okay. I used to do 100 hilly miles (or even 200 hilly kms - 125 miles) in about the same time as I take to do 100 hilly kms now. If I got fitter/faster again I would probably do more 100+ mile rides, but for now it will probably only be 2 or 3 a year.

presta

Guru
Having checked, it's a lot fewer than I thought if we're talking miles not km.

24.5.08: 101.41
9.6.08: 110.29
2.5.09: 125.25
24.5.09: 150.25

They were all local here in Essex, so fairly flat. I hadn't noticed that the last was the anniversary of the first, it was only a couple of months after the last that I started getting what I now know is atrial fibrillation.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Normally 2 -3 a year depending on how it falls in with family etc.This year it's just going to be one due to injury,most weekends will do a 60-70

Last edited:
I'll be doing a century bike ride this Saturday. I've realized it has been about 8 years since I've done one. I'm doing it on a whim of just wanting to do it. I'll be riding solely on a rail trail primarily made up of crushed limestone and using a heavy mountain bike. I have a road bike, I just want to see if I can do it with the MTB.

But it got me thinking of a good topic for this forum.

How often do you do a century bike ride?

I know of some who try to get one each month. I think that's possible but still pretty tough!

I might try to focus on one or two a year to start out.

I'm interested in seeing what everyone else has to say :smile:

I'm the same, my last century was some time back. I used to do 3 or 4 long 100+ mile rides a year.

When I did them I took the whole day so speed wasn't an issue, my longest was probably 3/4 of the Leefs/Liverpool canal and associated mileage at each end.

I'm setting myself of a half century ride before the end of the year.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Did nine years of centuries, failed the tenth at the last hurdle. After a couple of lean years, though still with a few centuries, the long-distance mojo is definitely back this year. I won't be rejoining the one-a-month club, it was feeling like a grind, but I have done eight so far this year, including a couple just short of 150 miles, plus a couple of ninety-ish milers.

I used to do an imperial century at least once a month and sometimes twice on a weekend but according to Veloviewer I have only done a century twice this year in just under 8,000miles. Three times if you count my longest day commute 72 in, 72 out.

I'll knock out a metric century almost every weekend but if my group decides they want to cut it short and ho straight to the pub I don't really argue.

Top Bottom