How often do you do a century bike ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm still doing the century a month challenge of which I'm on the 12th year and the 319th century over all.
100 miles is my optimum amount of cycling of which i find pretty easy. It's an enjoyable days ride. And of which I feel very comfortable with.
I have actually cut the riding down over the past few years, 5 years ago averaging over 24 centuries in a year, ie one every other week, now down to a lowly 15.

Ive cut down big time. I think I carried on when I unbeknownly had bowel cancer in 2018 but with the operation in 2019 and 5 weeks off the bike (doctors orders) April 2019 was missed. Then we had that global wee c thing. I've concentrated on Time Trialling the in the meantime and found I was getting better results doing what folk had been saying for a long time (rest) so I have never really got back in the habit and have just knocked them out when the weather has been nice.

Trickedem

Guru
I'm still doing the century a month challenge of which I'm on the 12th year and the 319th century over all.
100 miles is my optimum amount of cycling of which i find pretty easy. It's an enjoyable days ride. And of which I feel very comfortable with.
I have actually cut the riding down over the past few years, 5 years ago averaging over 24 centuries in a year, ie one every other week, now down to a lowly 15.

Every month like Ian. I completed 12 straight years in July and will have done 12 full calendar years of the Cycle Chat Imperial Century Challenge this December. It's not always easy, but it has kept me relatively fit and it seems rather difficult to break the habit.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I’ve never been a big imperial century rider - one a year tops. Age, a couple reasonably serious cycling incidents and rugby injuries acquired as a kid have started to make themselves felt, but in truth I’ve never enjoyed the hyper-miles. At my peak I would smack out a vigorous 60km and be happy. These days I’m getting more metric centuries in but at a significantly slower pace and that’s just fine.

Total respect to those that can just keep on for mile after mile.

steverob

Guru
Only ever done two and both of those were part of organised events (RideLondon did 105 miles including from hotel to the start, Tour of Cambs was 102).

Done plenty of metric centuries (90-ish since I started taking cycling seriously back in 2014) but just seem to hit a brick wall when I get around the 80 mile mark and don’t seem to have a strong desire to push on.

Since I returned to cycling in 2004 (guess when I got interested in Eddington) .

2004 0 (out of 1,884 miles for year)
2005 0 (out of 4,070 miles for year)
2006 0 (out of 5,341 miles for year)
2007 2 (out of 6,914 miles for year)
2008 0 (out of 6,081 miles for year)
2009 3 (out of 5,047 miles for year)
2010 2 (out of 7,578 miles for year)
2011 3 (out of 8,636 miles for year)
2012 2 (out of 9,370 miles for year)
2013 1 (out of 10,952 miles for year)
2014 2 (out of 11,007 miles for year)
2015 1 (out of 10,867 miles for year)
2016 21 (out of 12,506 miles for year)
2017 22 (out of 13,084 miles for year)
2018 19 (out of 10,199 miles for year)
2019 42 (out of 13,012 miles for year)
2020 47 (out of 12,261 miles for year)
2021 37 (out of 12,694 miles for year)
2022 31 (out of 11,045 miles for year so far ...)

CXRAndy

Guru
Not often, last before today was a couple of years before COVID.

Today I did Zwift 100 mile endurance ride with Swedish Zwift Riders. 4hr17. Starting group of 114 riders ended up with around 25 riders

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not often, last before today was a couple of years before COVID.

Today I did Zwift 100 mile endurance ride with Swedish Zwift Riders. 4hr17. Starting group of 114 riders ended up with around 25 riders

So your last century ride was a couple of years before covid then? (sorry, but had to bite the hook you cast....) :rolleyes:

CXRAndy

Guru
So your last century ride was a couple of years before covid then? (sorry, but had to bite the hook you cast....) :rolleyes:

Yeah yeah. I would say my ride was easily harder than an outdoor, unless you were doing it as a race type event. Not once did I stop pedaling for the entire duration of the 100 miles - no freewheeling, cafe stops photos 😁

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I've done 22 Imperial centuries & 64 Metric over the years but since my knee(s) got fubarred I really don't do too much distance at all, now.
Most have been solo, including 5 Imperial & 2 Metric in 7 days on my LEJOG.
Group and charity rides have been Norwich 100 twice , Chase the Rising Sun twice, Dunwich Dynamo twice, London Brighton & back several times.
All in the past now, sadly, but great memories....
I've met some lovely people on them over the years, too!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Yeah yeah. I would say my ride was easily harder than an outdoor, unless you were doing it as a race type event. Not once did I stop pedaling for the entire duration of the 100 miles - no freewheeling, cafe stops photos 😁

... but covered precisely ZERO miles!
I may have mentioned this before - a mile is a unit of distance, not a unit of effort or energy spent. You cannot re-write the laws of physics :rolleyes:.

Well done on all those joules generated, or calories burnt, though. It'll keep you fit for when you go out cycling and cover some MILES :laugh:.

Top Bottom