2nd ride on my 'new' road bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Less fun than the first. This was on NCR 27 south from Tavistock, just a 12 mile round trip to just past Horrabridge. Yup, to the bottom of the hill at Leg o' Mutton. Not ready for THAT yet...

Although very familiar with this little ride, I felt no confidence in using the bike at all. I found it difficult to use brakes and gears, and I'm definitely putting way too much weight on my hands. On the bar centres, all is comfy, although still too much hand weight. It was easier, oddly with no gloves...

I'm absolutely loving the lightness and speed, but I'm already thinking, after just 24 miles total, about a flat-bar conversion...

But before that, I will do some more miles this week and see if I find it better. I cannot afford to damage my hands in any way, so this is going to be a bit of a trial...

Anyone else had this with their first road bike?

vickster

Legendary Member
Is it the right size?
Try flipping the stem, or try a shorter stem. Get crosslevers fitted to make braking easier.

Unless the bike is much too big, you won't be able to successfully convert to flat bars, I've tried it, doesn't work, bike ends up way too small. Sell and it buy a flatbar if that's what you want

Last edited:

Tangoup51

For me, there's always weight on the hands from being pushed over onto the hoods like that.

But not enough to niggle on your mind or bother you.

You want to make sure when your on the hoods your not locking out your arms. You want to have a solid amount of bending in your arm. I forget how much exactly, but enough to be deemed far from locked out.

You need to get a feel for things, so try to support your weight with your body and legs over your hands.

I advise you to watch this video give you ideas.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VYhyppWTDc

But as I say give yourself some time to adjust. Riding flat bar focuses on comfort way too much over speed. Your body can get into the position your bike is set up for.

When I picked up my dropped road bike from the shop 10year ago it felt terrible and twitchy. Drop bar would be my first choice of bike now.

You weren't trying to ride on the drops at first were you ? that'll put a lot of weight on your hands if you've not got the core strength and may make breaking/ gear change hard. Most folk ride the majority of time on the hoods.

Lowering your saddle and raising the bars or shortening the stem will put you in a more upright position and relieve your hands also.

Tangoup51

Wow, quick answer! I'm not sure what you're meaning about the stem. Surely I don't want it lower?
Frame is 54cm, so toward the bigger end for me, but doesn't feel too big.
Pictures any use?

If reach is a problem you want to get a shorter stem. 95% bet that you are just needing to adjust to the roadie. Having the stem raised puts your back straighter meaning more weight goes through your posture.

Slick

Guru
Obviously everyone is very different and there's already some good advice 're adjusting your set up to reduce the load on your hands, but for me 2 rides isn't enough to know, especially if you are new to road bikes. Everyone, and I mean everyone I spoke too told me not to buy one as I wouldn't like it, it would be uncomfortable and difficult to handle. They were right for the first few weeks but it wasn't long before I realised that I loved it and they were so wrong. I probably only put around 1500 miles on it before I invested in a new machine and after only a few rides on it, I went back to my original and it felt terrible all over again. Give it a chance, before carrying out any major surgery.

It's this:
Scott Expert.

vickster

Legendary Member
Stem looks pretty long and could be flipped to bring bars up. Could also shift the bars upwards and the hoods up a bit. Plenty of space on the bars for cross levers

Could do with new tape!

Top Bottom