3/32 chain ring with 1/8 chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
Does the above work got lots of spare chainrings for 7/8 speed cassettes can you run them with a 1/8chain to utilise some 1/8 rear sprockets I also have, I guess it will wear quicker.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Yes - according to this advert
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392276928038

Can confirm, a 1/8th chain with 3/32 sprockets is a hot, noisy mess. Mostly an irritating processional rattle that gets worse as the chain wears.

Otherwise, it works fine.

bm

Last edited:

ThunderGuts

Only other thing to add is multi-speed chainrings may have ramps etc. on them designed to make gear changes easier; these are counter-productive on an SS and might help the chain come off. Probably not an issue if tension is correct, but if there's a bit of slack it might try and climb off the chainring?

silva

Über Member
Sprocket wear is mostly, near totally, caused by worn = longer becoming chains.
The width doesn't matter.
I've run 1/8" chains on 3/32" sprockets, and since 4 years a motorcycle 1/4" chain on 1/8" sprockets.
Begin 2019 I decided to not replace the chainring when mounting a new chain (after tensioner at its end).
That chainring is still mounted, with 60 km daily cycling, and didn't wear further, with now it's third chain mounted.
Dito for the rear cog, I had 3 replaced ones with too short teeth appearing to break off easily.
I remounted them, and teeth only began to break when tensioner position was closing in on its end.
Replace the chain before it starts eating sprocket teeth to break oif and you can just keep the sprockets.
Also saved me the hassle of having to flip the sprockets upon sharkfin shaping and chain having to climb up the inner of the hook in order to disengage.
My current chainring, Velosolo, is lasting nearly 4 years. well over 70000 km and if I would replace the chain before tensioner end, the Velosolo bolt on cogs would probably too.

Top Bottom