3 bikes have been nicked from work in the last week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
So to try and beat the bastards a friend and myself have gone halves on a heavy duty motorcycle lock which will be left at work. We both work opposite shifts so the idea is after his shift he leaves the lock there for me and vice versa. So along with my two gold secure locks (one D lock, one cable) and the heavy duty motor bike lock this should deter the f***ers.

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike

Make that 4. I got to work tonight and was told another bike had been nicked. This time a 2 grand Specialized.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
That's some bad news Jay, where are you locking the bikes?

In our office we have a spare room/utilities and only the commuters have a key

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike

The bikes that have been stolen are in a basic Sheffield stand which is right next to the public footpath and main road through the industrial estate. I don't leave my bike there, I leave it on the opposite side of the car park next to the main building locked to some railings protecting a gas pipe. Work have said we can leave the bikes inside the main building in a unused room under the stairs, but I can't see that lasting for long.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
just a thought but i bought a motion activated camera of fleabay from china - dont know if the battery would last 8hrs but you could check - the little spy type things that could be bluetacked anywhere might just catch a face

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike

1385604296403.jpg

My bike locked up last night. I don't think it can be made any more secure. I know no lock is 100% unbreakable but visually this should put most thieves off.

marcusjb

That's keeclamp you've locked the bike to?

If the scrotes are quick, it would only take an Allen key and the bike is gone.

Clearly, they have found an easier source of machines, so might not bother. But be careful, that stuff is pretty easy to disassemble quickly.

Put the big chain lock around the gas pipe?

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike

That's keeclamp you've locked the bike to?

If the scrotes are quick, it would only take an Allen key and the bike is gone.

Clearly, they have found an easier source of machines, so might not bother. But be careful, that stuff is pretty easy to disassemble quickly.

Put the big chain lock around the gas pipe?
Yes it is, I have put the locks around three different rails, so it would take them longer to undo all the bolts. I have thought about super glueing the Allen key sockets but I didn't just say that on the internet. Putting the big chain around the gas pipe s a good idea, I'll try that tonight.

BSRU

A Human Being
Which motorcycle chain is it, not all chains are equal.
Chains like the Almax chain are the good ones as they cannot be hand cropped.

marcusjb

Yes it is, I have put the locks around three different rails, so it would take them longer to undo all the bolts. I have thought about super glueing the Allen key sockets but I didn't just say that on the internet. Putting the big chain around the gas pipe s a good idea, I'll try that tonight.

I saw that you have locks around multiple parts of the structure - so, it's all unlikely, but if there are scrotes operating in the area currently, I wouldn't want to take any risks. They will typically go for the easiest option - I doubt your setup there is the easiest option anyway, so they'd move on anyway, but the chain around the gas pipe at least puts that opportunity out of their reach.

Crankarm

Guru
For a start I wouldn't leave the bike saddle, QR clamp and take it off when you leave it. They nicked my D locks Abus Granits and my bike wasn't even being locked up at the time as I was not at work.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
if they want it they will take it , simple as .

must admit i am the only person that locks there bike up at work although all are parked in an inner courtyard and the building needs a swipe card to open . i still expect to here that there has been a bike stolen

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Gumtree and eBay are being watched, I might take a drive round the local cash converters in a day or 2
There is a good idea. Pawnshops in my area have to check serial #'s against a database. But if the theft goes unreported, or the owner does not know the serial number, the bike is pretty much gone. There have been a rash of bicycle thefts at the public library in the next town. Security guards warn about thefts, but the police station is right across the parking lot, and yet these people do not get caught. This is the story I am told by someone who rides my bus, who wants me to do a build for him in the spring. I'll be throwing in a Kryptonite lock as well, I believe. But I think you guys have the best places to watch. Look for these guys to take the bikes some distance, though. I ran across some travelers pulling these stunts some years ago, and they were pawning bicycles some 60 miles distant.

Top Bottom