3 day tour - ideas please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Evenings!!
Here's the situation. I have a long-weekend pass in May, and I'm looking for ideas.
Setting off Friday lunchtime, getting back late Monday, or first thing Tuesday at a pinch. Taking a road bike with a saddlebag, staying at hotels, about 50-odd mile days.
I've looked at a return train to Dover, and return on the ferry to Calais; and out to Calais and back from Dieppe, taking in the Avenue Verte from Forges-les-Eaux; and out to Calais and back from Hook of Holland. The Dover-Calais return option is about £85, the other two are about £145, as they include a cabin on the ferry.
Anyone got any other ideas? I'd sooner not fly, and I don't really want to drive.
Come on, CC, help me out!! :biggrin:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
You could get the nice bit of Loch's and Glens South into that remit.

Day 1 - Carlisle-Gretna-Annan-Dumfries (44mi)

Day 2 - Dumfries-Castle Douglas-Kirkcudbright-Gatehouse of Fleet-Creetown (53mi)

Day 3 - Creetown-Glentrool-Gallowy Forest Park-Maybole-Ayr (50mi)

I rode the route last year and it's very pretty countryside (the last section from Ayr to Glasgow is far more urban and nothing like as nice)

saoirse50

Veteran
I have a similar time allocation (extra day, though) at the beginning of June and will be heading to the Yorkshire Dales. Possibly heading by train to Lancaster and then north east up to Ingleton, maybe Dent, then south down to Kettlewell and from there to a station that will bring me back Londonwards, There are quite a few beautiful climbs up into terrific moorland and great descents back down and some lovely little towns, pubs, teashops, and campsites or b and b's if you prefer. I haven't decided on my final route yet, but when I do. I'll post it.

toroddf

Caledonian sleeper (travel by night) to either Fort Williams (with train to Mallaig) or Inverness. Then take Isle Of Skye. Travel by night. Cycle by day.

saoirse50

Veteran
Do you not think Skye is just a wee bit too far for 3 days? Lovely idea, but to make the most of anywhere in Scotland north of Rannoch (sleeper stops there and places you handily for a three day Scottish road trip that could get you back to a station for a southbound train in good time) you would need at least 5 days. If you are planning 50 mile days. In my opinion anyway.
Although, OP didn't specify a starting point.

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm starting from Hertfordshire, on the East Coast main line. Sleeper trains...that's an idea.
Pain in the butt to take a bike on, but I have a Brommie, so that's not insurmountable.
That's certainly given me some ideas, so thanks for that. Keep 'em coming!!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
If you're on the ECML, then Have a look at setting off from Northallerton and riding to Tan Hill, or riding round the North Yorkshire Moors.

Or Newcastle is a good base for the Coast and Castles route, C2C, Hadrians Cycleway or Reivers route through Kielder. Northumberland is good cycling country as well. (Ping: Reiver)

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
OK - I'd sooner avoid Yorkshire, as it's either far too flat or far, far too hilly. Borders are nice, I've been around Berwick, Wooler and Holy Island. Again, though, for a variety of reasons I'd sooner go elsewhere.
Really, I'm tending towards the Continent, but certainly thinking of Scotland.

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
OK. Dunkirk ferries are a bit cheaper, but take longer and aren't as frequent. Calais ferries have the distinct advantage that there's no problem if your plans change and you want to go at a different time, or on a different day.
I think I'm looking at Calais - St Omer - De Panne - Calais or something like that. It's all kind of flat, so do I take :-
The carbon roadbike (fast, massively overkill, limited luggage)
The Brommie (luggage capacity to spare, 6 gears will be plenty, nice upright ride)
The singlespeed (has saddlebag, could have rack, one gear should be enough)
My slicked-up MTB (just getting silly now!!)

Top Bottom