3 Feet for cyclists petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

porteous

Veteran
I am not trying to be difficult, but doesn't the highway code rule on this assume a wider clearance when suggesting that bicycles should get the same clearance as any other vehicle when being overtaken?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
it does indeed
dg_070531.jpg

Noodley

I think my campaign "Treat me like you would any other road user or I'll smash your face up" has a certain ring to it. :biggrin:

adscrim

Veteran
porteous said:
I am not trying to be difficult, but doesn't the highway code rule on this assume a wider clearance when suggesting that bicycles should get the same clearance as any other vehicle when being overtaken?

It's the 'should' vs 'must' issue. Rule 163 state the you 'should'. The petition is that 3 feet 'must' be given and I suppose has no effect on rule 163 as drivers 'should' still apply the highway code's recommendation.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think it does need clarifying. If people are stupid enough not to do something then unfortunately it is rule book and clarification time. I'd rather it didn't come to it but with the number of rows on this forum, it sadly has.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Should we have a 3' rule day and ride round with a fluorescent yellow hand on a stick strapped to our bikes and organise local TV and newspaper coverage to the campaign?

Could even put a flashing light on the 'hand' too and have the coverage in semi- darkness for effect.

wullof

Touche said:
Hmmm

- A No10 petition
- New unenforceable legislation

Not going to happen, has any of these petitions actualy made a difference.
er yeah cant see how it would be enforceable,but some people get more than 3ft of clearence

adscrim said:
It's the 'should' vs 'must' issue. Rule 163 state the you 'should'. The petition is that 3 feet 'must' be given and I suppose has no effect on rule 163 as drivers 'should' still apply the highway code's recommendation.

Why does the Highway Code not just contain laws? All the other junk encourages grey areas. And if planners took any notice wouldn't all on-road cycle lanes be as wide as a car (plus some) else it wouldn't be possible to safely overtake cyclists using the cycle lanes (according to the Code)?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I think three feet is insufficient. The suck from an artic at three feet is considerable and as I understand it, the minimum in Spain is a metre and a half. In any event, given that plod are only interested in acting as tax collectors these days, it is highly unlikely that they would "find the time" to enforce the new law.

Top Bottom