3 Feet for cyclists petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Gerry Attrick said:
I think three feet is insufficient. The suck from an artic driver at three feet is considerable and as I understand it, the minimum in Spain is a metre and a half. In any event, given that plod are only interested in acting as tax collectors these days, it is highly unlikely that they would "find the time" to enforce the new law.

:biggrin:

..........................?

:B)

;) :smile:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
ComedyPilot said:
:biggrin:

..........................?

:B)

;) :smile:
:shy:

Will1985

Über Member
3 feet isn't much when a car passes you at 60 or 70 on a fast A road/DC. The wind effect/suck is also a lot worse when riding deep sections/disc and on the tribars (although it does pull you along a bit :smile:).

I'm sceptical that any law change would be enforceable. The day it becomes law will still be years before changes in driver attitude.

WeeE

Don't you think defining it at a specific distance will just encourage
"Too close!"
"I gave you three feet!"
"No you didn't!"
"Yes I did!"
"No - and anyway, it's not supposed to mean three feet across the bike's front wheel!"

garrilla

ianrauk said:
it does indeed
dg_070531.jpg

I always though that picture and the words don't match up exactly, or more precisely that the picture is optimistic.

Most vehicles over taking would not give that much space - the distance between the two - to another car.

Cubist

Still wavin'
garrilla said:
I always though that picture and the words don't match up exactly, or more precisely that the picture is optimistic.

Most vehicles over taking would not give that much space - the distance between the two - to another car.
It's not actually realistic. The car driver realised halfway through the overtake that this was indeed the cyclist that called him a self-gratification artist last Friday and squirted what might have been stale squash,( but he has a horrible feeling it was worse than that,) through his open window . He has moved further out because he knows he must get out of range of even the best aimed bidon.

wafflycat

Sorry but this bit of proposed legislation comes across as impractical, unworkable and unenforceable. Where I live there are loads of roads where a clearance of 3 feet is not possible - the road is too narrow. I have no issue with a closer overtake when the driver slows to a speed where he/she is causing no hassle. There are also times, on some roads, where a clearnace of 3 feet is not sufficient, such as HGVs going by at speed. And just how is this proposed law going to be enforced - in a practical way - it can't. Not unless we're expected to be cycling along with a 3ft rod sticking out at right angles from out hips.. There really is no point in introducing yet another law unless it is practical and enforceable. I'd much rather emphasis was put on driver education, so that the current HC requirement was ingrained into the motoring brain.

Waffly is spot on.

It gets down to cycles not really being compatable with cars on many roads. Most drivers are not looking out enough for cyclists so not expecting them.

In Holland with lots of bikes around, car drivers seem to expect to see a bike around every corner and so drive accordingly whereas in most of the UK seeing a bike is a bit of a shock for your avereage car driver who on an A Road has usually barged past you before he wakes up and thinks to react.

garrilla

I agree in in principle with the objective of giving cyclists enough room, but I also agree with those who are saying that as a peice of legistlation, 3feet2pass, its both unworkable and unenforceable.

The DoT should back a campaign to promote 'safe passage' and perhaps it needs a 'safe distance - safe speed' message although, imho, 3ft is good general guide and understandable by the driving public.

davidaw

Sorry, but for those that think such legislation is not workable;

perhaps such legislation would force Road planners and Councils in to ensuring the roads are suitable for all road users. After all, they do have a duty to ensure legislations can be upheld.

Until then, there are the vast majority of roads where such legislation would help the safety of all road users NOW!

If you can not overtake giving 3 feet space, passing needs to be a negotiation between road users at much slower speeds. Perhaps a passing speed difference of no more than 10mph if 3 feet can not be maintained!

Basically, putting in to law what SHOULD already be happening. Whether the Police enforce it is down to political pressure and will.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
This is a copy of a post I made on http://road.cc/

The trouble with the law in the UK is that it is so vague as to be useless. I found this out when I reported a driver to the Met Police earlier this year. Despite having video evidence with clear indication of close overtaking and the number plate the Police did little apart from (so they claim) write a letter to the driver notifying him of my complaint. The bottom line with the Police, with whom I exchanged a number of letters, was that:

1) Highway Code rule 163 states only that motorists SHOULD give cyclists as much room as a car (ie not MUST);
2) the driver hadn't forced me to take evasive action/crash;
3) they felt my video showed inconclusive evidence of close overtaking.

Well, see for yourself:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpfHniL2Ee8

In my opinion we desperately need a statutory minimum safe distance for overtaking cyclists in the UK. As it stands, the current legislation is a joke.

To be honest I can see where the Police are coming from with respect to your video. Yes, it was crap driving and too close but what would you be expecting the Police to do in this instance given the legislation? We don't need more laws - what we do need is better education for all road users and stiffer sentencing for those that cause accidents through their own actions.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Actually, I didn't expect them to do very much at all. I've certainly had worse overtakes than that shown but my intention was to test out what Police actually would do given that the media were, on that particular day, reporting a proposed introduction of fines for motorists passing too close to cyclists. The fact that they sent a letter to the driver concerned is, at least, gratifying and may actually encourage that driver to act more respectfully toward two wheel road users in future.

What I discovered was how useless Highway Code Rule 163 actually is and how necessary it is that we have legislation that gives a statutory minimum distance. At the moment motorists can bass by dangerously closely with impunity and with no legal redress on the part of the cyclist.

Dan B

Disengaged member
On a lighter note, is it just me who keeps looking at the thread title and thinking "why do I need three feet when I only have two pedals?"?

Top Bottom