3 Grand. Bike of a lifetime

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yazzoo

I do, but I am intrigued as to what you'd have had me spend my money on instead?

Cyclist33

I do, but I am intrigued as to what you'd have had me spend my money on instead?

I just thought about the window shopping I've done over the last year or two and there have been plenty of really good looking Ultegra or higher bikes well under the 2 grand mark... it's all about what makes you smile though (as long as riding it works too).

lejogger

Guru
I just thought about the window shopping I've done over the last year or two and there have been plenty of really good looking Ultegra or higher bikes well under the 2 grand mark... it's all about what makes you smile though (as long as riding it works too).
You'd be looking at a much lower quality frameset however, or a previous years model.

lejogger

Guru
The first you couldn't possibly quantify without examples and even then how would you know, and the second is largely irrelevant if the spec is as good or better.

Well tell me what bikes you've seen with full Ultegra for under £2k, and I'll tell you if the frameset is 'IMO' better or worse!!

Admittedly with the De Rosa brand you'll be paying a premium over some other brands due to name and heritage, but even with well known 'good-value' brands like Canyon, you're looking at over £2k just for an Aeroad frameset, before you stick a groupset and some wheels on it. In addition, a Boardman AiR 9.2 with full Ultegra is £2.6k RRP.

£2.5k for a De Rosa with Ultegra (albeit Ultegra 6800) is a good price for me if it's the bike that you want.
Bear in mind that the De Rosa 888 Superking E is on Wiggle for £2,850 for the frameset alone.

OP
OP
Winnershsaint
3 grand = Rose or Canyon for me. At that price point you have limits but can pretty much have a top spec bike for that money if you go with them brands.

Such a personal choice though...
That just about sums it up. There is no doubting the value and quality of Rose or Canyon, or the heritage of De Rosa as a brand, I even considered the De Rosa 888 Superking E in my search and looked frequently at the websites of both German companies. My personal choice was to buy from people I have used before and can trust to put me on the bike that is best for me at around the price I am willing to pay. it was never going to be the cheapest option, but to a greater extent that wasn't the point. It won't be everybody's cycling 'cup of tea', but most importantly it is my cup of tea. I thought long and hard over this for the best part of nine months when early retirement first became a germ of an idea. Whatever bike I had decided on I would never do it justice as a rider but I just wanted one that would as Cyclist 33 says make me smile, hence my eventual choice. Even then I had misgivings. All the photos of the R3 underwhelmed me, but that changed yesterday when I saw one in the carbon (so to speak) built up for another customer. The jury is still out on wheel choice though I am drifting towards Dura Ace C35's or American Classic Carbon 40's.

Citius

Dunno about light. Fulcrum Quattros are also 35mm depth are only 98g heavier - and are around £800 cheaper. Unless you mean the tubs...

OP
OP
Winnershsaint
R3 ordered this pm! When complete it will have Ultegra Di2, Rotor compact 3DF crankset. FSA SL-K carbon seatpost and SL-K stem with 3T Ergonova Stealth bars and a Fizik Arione Versus saddle. Saw one built up for another customer with Mavic R-Sys wheels. Perfectly complemented the bike in terms of the charcoal wheel finish. Not going that far but will do Ksyrium SLR 25s will still look fantastic on it.

lejogger

Guru
R3 ordered this pm! When complete it will have Ultegra Di2, Rotor compact 3DF crankset. FSA SL-K carbon seatpost and SL-K stem with 3T Ergonova Stealth bars and a Fizik Arione Versus saddle. Saw one built up for another customer with Mavic R-Sys wheels. Perfectly complemented the bike in terms of the charcoal wheel finish. Not going that far but will do Ksyrium SLR 25s will still look fantastic on it.
I have the Ergonova Bars myself. Have you used them before? the sizing comes up a bit narrow on the hoods compared to the drops as they taper, but I didn't feel the need to go up a size. Personal preference.
Tempted by the Aeronova however, they look lovely and aero... a couple of BMC riders were using them in the tour. They would affect your stem length though as the reach is silly long.

bpsmith

Veteran
There's something about extended procrastination @Winnershsaint. Forced or not.

You have a very well thought out bike, which will be much revered by many a cyclist on here and out in the real world!

OP
OP
Winnershsaint
I have the Ergonova Bars myself. Have you used them before? the sizing comes up a bit narrow on the hoods compared to the drops as they taper, but I didn't feel the need to go up a size. Personal preference.
Tempted by the Aeronova however, they look lovely and aero... a couple of BMC riders were using them in the tour. They would affect your stem length though as the reach is silly long.
Made aware of this by the guys at LBS. Had shoulder width measurement taken so bars will be ordered to correct size. Saw some Aeronovas without tape on an S5 build. The aero part of them looks wide enough to perch your dinner on!

Top Bottom