3 Grand. Bike of a lifetime

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
In engineering terms I mean. Obviously, throw in some poor weather or practical considerations like rim wear...

Caliper brakes fit in with the minimalist ethos as well, ie parts having to do more than one job, in this case the rim.

There's no denying disc brakes look cool though, and should behave more predictably. Cable ones, at least.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
OK, I've got a new suggestion.
Spend around a £1000 or so on a 6 Speed Brompton and spend the rest of your budget on any plastic bike that takes your fancy. It won't matter which plastic bike, cos you'll soon find that riding a Brompton is more useful and fun than anything else ..... :whistle:
DAHIKT

fossala

Guru
OK, I've got a new suggestion.
Spend around a £1000 or so on a 6 Speed Brompton and spend the rest of your budget on any plastic bike that takes your fancy. It won't matter which plastic bike, cos you'll soon find that riding a Brompton is more useful and fun than anything else ..... :whistle:
DAHIKT
Enjoying it that much?

Fab Foodie

Enjoying it that much?
Yep!

I keep meaning to send you a PM about how much I'm enjoying it. I have lowered the gearing, I can see how it would lose it's magic in Cornwall.
I've done my first cycle-camp in some 25+ years on it cycling 60 miles in one hop with full camping gear, and thus far with the aid of a Bike Pod taken it on business trips to France, Germany, Denmark, Switzerland and Liechenstein.
Brom on the Rhine.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG

Riding to London with the London Brompton club next week.... more use than I'd ever imagine ... and a lot of shopping trips too. It's great for city riding, love riding it in London. I've lead some club rides on it too!
It's my 'go-to' bike, the one I'd save first from the garage if it was on fire. Even thinking of getting the wife one now. Magic thanks :cheers:

Last edited:

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Yep!

I keep meaning to send you a PM about how much I'm enjoying it. I have lowered the gearing, I can see how it would lose it's magic in Cornwall.
I've done my first cycle-camp in some 25+ years on it cycling 60 miles in one hop with full camping gear, and thus far with the aid of a Bike Pod taken it on business trips to France, Germany, Denmark, Switzerland and Liechenstein.
View attachment 90963

View attachment 90964

Riding to London with the London Brompton club next week.... more use than I'd ever imagine ... and a lot of shopping trips too. It's great for city riding, love riding it in London. I've lead some club rides on it too!
It's my 'go-to' bike, the one I'd save first from the garage if it was on fire. Even thinking of getting the wife one now. Magic thanks :cheers:

Yeah, but from an engineering perspective...

^_^

Fab Foodie

Odd eh?

The thing is I find that thus far, the Brommie is a very accomplished all-round bicycle, in fact the best I have .... let me try to explain ...

The downsides:
It's not the fastest bike I have, BUT, it's fast enough for most of my cycling except fast club runs.
It needs some mods to climb hills better

The upsides are:
It's good on road, dirt tracks, gravel surfaces unless really big potholes
It's a good and flexible load-lugger,
It goes inside my smallest tent when camping
It's comfortable over quite large distances
I can use it as a beater/pub-bike because I don't need to leave it outside
I don't need to worry about locking it up outside shops/cafes etc ... just carry it in. I can put it in a trolley and push it around Supermarkets and DIY stores etc
I make more shopping trips on the Brompton than I ever did on my other bikes ... I always took the car, now I always (where feasible) take the Brompton.
It's brilliant in town, fast and nimble, a regular bike feels like a barge in comparison.
It is easy to take places, by car, bus, coach, train and importantly for me, planes - the more often you have your bike with you, the more you can ride it..
It's just 'fun' to ride ... and it makes others smile.

Top Bottom