3 Grand. Bike of a lifetime

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
How would you quantify the improvement?
By being happier with improved braking in all conditions.......thats all the quantifying i need

huwsparky

Über Member
By being happier with improved braking in all conditions.......thats all the quantifying i need
I think you misunderstood. I just want to know how much improvement there is in breaking as I have never ridden a bike with disks before. Twice as powerful??? I only really wish for better brakes in wet conditions, mine seem to do the job OK in the dry.

simon.r

Person
How would you quantify the improvement?

I'm still not convinced that discs offer any advantage worth having for the average rider if (and it's a big if) the bike is intended for dry use only.

I have bikes with both and there's no doubt that the discs are much better in the wet, but they do need more tweaking than caliper brakes and they are heavier. Longer term, maintenance on hydraulics will be more of an issue as well.

OP
OP
Winnershsaint
That's exactly the kind of discussion which is helpful. It shows both sides of the argument with regards to discs on road bikes. TBH the Boardman comes in at a quoted 8.5kg. My Ridley in its current form is well below 8kg. The S3 is around 7.5kg which I could lower with lighter wheels. I am quite interested in the bike fit though, although it's what's in the garage that'll get me out riding. The saga continues......................

Cyclist33

I think you misunderstood. I just want to know how much improvement there is in breaking as I have never ridden a bike with disks before. Twice as powerful??? I only really wish for better brakes in wet conditions, mine seem to do the job OK in the dry.

Hmm, I am pretty cynical about the need for disc brakes on the road, I mean to say if you're on the highway you anticipate and brake accordingly and discs are an unnecessary get out of jail card.

However, my front, rim, brake just failed on the way home which was rather scary!

Get whatever makes you happy.

jowwy

I'm still not convinced that discs offer any advantage worth having for the average rider if (and it's a big if) the bike is intended for dry use only.

I have bikes with both and there's no doubt that the discs are much better in the wet, but they do need more tweaking than caliper brakes and they are heavier. Longer term, maintenance on hydraulics will be more of an issue as well.
The spyre discs are only 50grammes heavier than caliper breaks, have not needed adjusting in over 300 miles......just by decent compressionless outers and they are superb.

The weight can be offset by using carbon wheels, lightweight carbon cranks and decent tyres.........my Ti disc comes in at 8kg and brakes like a dream on fast descents in the welsh valleys and mountains. I will never go back to rim brakes ever

jowwy

Hmm, I am pretty cynical about the need for disc brakes on the road, I mean to say if you're on the highway you anticipate and brake accordingly and discs are an unnecessary get out of jail card.

However, my front, rim, brake just failed on the way home which was rather scary!

Get whatever makes you happy.
What if your descending the welsh mountains in the wet at just over 40mph, try stopping a 17st mammoth on rim brakes in that scenario, its a scary as s**t, believe you me

jowwy

Its not really about power to be honest, its just about the modulation of the brake and the ease of slowing down in wet conditions and even dry ones at speed. Also getting the right disc brakes is key, my promax renderd in the synapse were utter s**t, switched them out for spyres and the braking is night and day........for me it was a no brainer when i built my custom Ti

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
doesnt having disc brakes limit you to what wheels you can have ? Or can you fit any wheels as per rim brakes ?

jowwy

doesnt having disc brakes limit you to what wheels you can have ? Or can you fit any wheels as per rim brakes ?
Wheels are limited - but i use carbon wheels and no longer have to worry about wearing down brake tracks or stopping on carbon rims :okay:

Top Bottom