3 Miles in Cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Octet

Veteran
Well, I've finally done three miles in cleats.... no, no... not cycling.... walking!

My chain decided to snap approximately three miles away from where I live. I don't entirely know what caused it to happen, possibly the rivet not being in properly when I took the chain off to clean it.
I went down to inspect the chain, with my chain tool in hand (in an attempt to do some make-shift repairs) to find that the rivet had gone completely.

Trying to find the rivet was going to be an impossible task, even though it happened on a small, country road. Giving up, I stuck the chain over my shoulder and began the rather uncomfortable three mile walk back home in cleats....

Not the best of rides, but at least I had pavements, I wasn't too far away, and I was (was being the optimum word) cycling on rather quiet roads.

Anyway..... sympathy please :angel:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Thats a bummer make sure you have a chain tool and a quick link with you next time :thumbsup:

Herr-B

I would rather have walked in socks or bare feet than any great distance in cleats. I once cycled to the childminder's from work and walked home, about half a mile, with my little girl. Only once for a reason and never again.

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
Split the chain, shorten and rejoin. Id have probably walked in socks if I had my Spesh Carbon soled road shoes on.

Walked a similar distance but in SPD MTB shoes after a rim exploded :eek:

Thanks for the suggestion, if it happens again I shall give that a go.

I was wearing SPD cleats at the time thank fully, so certainly more resilient than SPD-SLs, and considering how hot the tarmac was I didn't really want to walk along it anyway.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Why didn't you use your bike as a scooter and push yourself along freewheeling?

Smart ar$e. Hindsight ! :laugh:

PhunkyPhil

Regular
I think I'd have taken my shoes off and then used bike as a shooter rather than risk my shoes. You would probably have been able to walk faster as well.

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
a dying skill, when I was a postman and training new posties one of the first things I'd show them was how to scoot and how much easier it made handling the bike and bag....

A dying skill indeed, I used to be able to do it when I was younger (about 10-11 years old), although 7 years on I can't do it anymore.

ayceejay

Guru
Back in the day when skin suits and other aerodynamic gizmos were first making an appearance I saw a guy pushing his bike wearing the full Monty, this was on an evening 10 so he looked ridiculous (Max Wall on steroids) and unhappy but the rest of us had a good laugh.

Kies

Thanks for the suggestion, if it happens again I shall give that a go.

I was wearing SPD cleats at the time thank fully, so certainly more resilient than SPD-SLs, and considering how hot the tarmac was I didn't really want to walk along it anyway.

SPD cleats - easy peasy! My ride buddy did 3 miles on spd-sl cleats. He didn't know they can be taken off and he had a multi tool with him :rolleyes:

Top Bottom