3 November - Veteran Car Run 2019 London to Brighton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GetFatty

Über Member
Actually I didn't miss it, just couldn't understand what difference it makes. Even if you overindulge on saturday resulting in a mild overhang on sunday, what better way to treat it than a lovely, gentle ride down to the coast in the refreshing, revitalising autumnal air with friendly CC folk.

p.s. you're not a kiwi or south african are you?
Ah I think we have different ideas about drinking. A mild hangover comes from around 6 pints. A 12 hour session is slightly more than 6 pints :smile:

And no I'm a Lancastrian

would like to do this ride; it can be really nice and great atmosphere;
wont really be able to decide until much later in the week
will let you know.

yellow banana [kingcycle] fully refurbished at great expense; now has brand new magura rim brakes
replacing the very ancient original models; so can now stop on descents, which is comforting.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Almost certainly not riding along- apart from the late night Saturday, there will be both a fairly strong headwind for the return west, and engineering work on the rail line (quelle surprise!) which means at least 25 miles into that wind. Have fun.....

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Hello, just looking at Bonhams safety video, for the first 10 miles there is a split between odd and even number plates with some going via Clapham- Tooting and the others going via Kennington-Brixton and they regroup in Croydon.

Still undecided if i'm going

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
I'm out, despite the forecast, after a character-building experience (which I didn't need) with @Eddie_C this morning. We got ourselves to Witham by train and started optimistically on the 100km 3R&Rs ACME audax but bailed at Tiptree, a mere 12km in: rain, water on the road, WIND and - at least for cataract-effected me, poor visiboility. It certainly wasn't fun, even Type2!, and felt decidedly sketchy. So we retraced our steps and I don't think I can get myself up again early enough tomorrow.

rb58

Enigma
Hello, just looking at Bonhams safety video, for the first 10 miles there is a split between odd and even number plates with some going via Clapham- Tooting and the others going via Kennington-Brixton and they regroup in Croydon.

Still undecided if i'm going
I saw that too. That’s what made me decide to start at Croydon rather than HPC like I did a couple of years ago.

rb58

Enigma
I'm out, despite the forecast, after a character-building experience (which I didn't need) with @Eddie_C this morning. We got ourselves to Witham by train and started optimistically on the 100km 3R&Rs ACME audax but bailed at Tiptree, a mere 12km in: rain, water on the road, WIND and - at least for cataract-effected me, poor visiboility. It certainly wasn't fun, even Type2!, and felt decidedly sketchy. So we retraced our steps and I don't think I can get myself up again early enough tomorrow.
I looked out of the window this morning - that’s as far as it went. I think you made the right call. See you soon.

I will be at east croydon at 8.30 sunday morning
hope to get down to brighton;
and hope its not on my own!
bob

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
What a cracking day out that was. Crisp and autumnal but I never regretted wearing shorts and a single layer while we were riding.

The annual car run passes the top of my road so I’ve seen it many times, but I’ve never ridden along with it before. I’m glad I have now. There was such a relaxed, good natured vibe to it that I now have an urge to buy a suitable period bike and some tweed for next year.

Thanks for the company.
12A47252-556A-4652-8B51-E76C089A3B2C.jpeg
120F3A14-C1F6-4DF1-B915-8A975B091BBD.jpeg
E6F8C84C-AD35-4D5C-B331-AAECD4BA7309.jpeg
A801C4EE-763F-496F-9398-D3384226682B.jpeg
4C89CE07-9D23-4537-8BD6-1444A3F505F9.jpeg
260C405B-EC4E-4828-9C26-C2E174219DF4.jpeg
BEBC3608-6483-471E-A00A-B8122E4466C0.jpeg
B522EFC0-31EB-4B3B-92DB-19FF5A093DB0.jpeg
A3D0BC15-5725-4B05-9FE8-21EC457E4A2D.jpeg

rb58

Enigma
What a cracking day out that was. Crisp and autumnal but I never regretted wearing shorts and a single layer while we were riding.

The annual car run passes the top of my road so I’ve seen it many times, but I’ve never ridden along with it before. I’m glad I have now. There was such a relaxed, good natured vibe to it that I now have an urge to buy a suitable period bike and some tweed for next year.

Thanks for the company.
It was certainly 'fresher' than I thought it was going to be. Hats off for rocking up in shorts and a single layer shirt. I've done this several times and it's always a brilliant day. Today was just as good. And what a bonus to be served home made scones by a kind lady whilst we re-grouped. It's just that kind of day! Brilliant.

Top Bottom