3 Speed Hub Gear, Which One and Where?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Posting on CC and YACF for maximum exposure.

I'd like to build 2 bikes with 3 speed hub gears, basically I enjoy single speed but would like the option of overdrive either side if needed. I have been looking in to what's available and it's narrowed down to SRAM, I3 or T3, or Sturmey Archer, AW or SRF3. Price wise my preference is Sturmey Archer as they include shifters etc, I also like the gear range and shifter options better. The problems I run up against are twofold:-

1. dimensions - the dropouts I have are 126mm and 132mm - though SA show their hubs as having a 175mm axel & 126.8mm OLD option, this apparentkly isn't called for in Europe. All I can seem to find are hubs with an OLD of about 118mm and 165mm axels. Can these be used with spacers in the above frames or not? If not should I just try and buy from abroad, are spares interchangeable if need be etc?

2. where to buy - so far only found SJS Cycles and Freemancycles for SA stuff and Roman Road for SRAM.

Also how easy is the rear wheel removal with a Sturmey Archer setup?....thanks.....Al

tyred

Legendary Member
Unless SA have drastically redesigned their gear change system in some way, you will have to re-adjust the gear change cable everytime you remove the wheel. In reality this is a simple task that takes maybe a minute or two. I would imagine all geared hubs would need to have the gear change system interfered with to remove the wheel. You will also need to re-tension the chain and ensure the wheel is "square" in the dropouts before tightening the axle nuts. Not really too much of a problem as you don't need to remove your rear wheel very often.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
The SRAM dual drive gives you a 3 speed hub with a click box that just clicks off when you want to remove the wheel. I use one on the SMGTe and pop the clickbox off whenever I mount her on a turbo (fnarr). When you want to reconnect, simply pop the clickbox back on. Its done without tools and seems trouble free.

Of course, the dual drive muddies things by adding a rear cassette too, but the same might apply to their other offerings.
Vid here

MartinC

Über Member
Mac, the SRAM I-Motion 3 fits an OLN of 130mm. If the axle's long enough on the others then you can use spacers.

I've used SA3, T3 and I3 and they're all good. Wheel removal with the I3 is really easy. SA and T3 are OK too - you just need to unscrew the indicator chain.

Fishers supply SRAM stuff in the UK - if you LBS deals with them (lots do) then they can get it from the Fishers catalogue (it's online http://www.fisher-outdoor.co.uk/)

jimboalee

Getting the wheel out is a piece of cake.

Invert the bike and just loosen the lock-ring on the gear change link on the end of the Sturmey link.
Unwind the long knurled barrel until it disconnects.

Untighten the tracknuts and lift the wheel out.

When replacing the wheel, place the chain on both ring and sprocket, make sure the flats on the Sturmey spindle line up with the frame drop-outs and slide the wheel back.

When you tighten the tracknuts, the chain should be slightly loose. Check there are no 'tight spots'.

Reconnect the gear change linkage.
In gear No. 2, the flat on the gearchange plunger should be flush with the end of the spindle. See Sheldon's piccies.

Easy-peasey.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Ok, have just ordered a new SRF3 from Harris Cyclery in the US with the 175mm axle. I really wanted new and the ability of my LBS to maintain Sturmey Archer won out over the SRAM. If I'm please with it then I may get a second to go on the 132mm dropout bike. This is the Surly I've built up around the SRAM I-9 so, if I do that, there may be a very new wheel, Mavic A719, with SRAM I-9 up for sale.

Strange, at the time I ordered the I-9 I really felt that 9 gears were needed for my commute. By the time I finally had the bike completed I'm down to doing the commute in 1 gear. As the bike is commute only it just feels a bit silly having a 9 gear hub and not using it....we'll see, maybe I'll be glad of the gears come Winter.

Thanks for the help as usual folks

tyred

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
There's a place in Kidderminster called Spokes.

http://www.gokidderminster.co.uk/tourism/business_detail.asp?subcat=63&business=20149

They dismantle and rebuild bikes for charity.

They have Bins full of Sturmies et al.

They ask £8, yes £8 for a wheel with a Sturmey in it. Or you could just take the hub for £8.

Well at least that's what they wanted for a 36 hole Dynohub. "All wheels £8" he said.

Do they do mail order? I'm sure I could find a use for an SA equiped wheel at that price.

jimboalee

tyred said:
Do they do mail order? I'm sure I could find a use for an SA equiped wheel at that price.

Try mailing them.

I doubt it though. I drive there to see what they've got. They're NOT a shop, more like a 'bicycle breakers yard'. - without the big dog. :biggrin:

tyred

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
Try mailing them.

I doubt it though. I drive there to see what they've got. They're NOT a shop, more like a 'bicycle breakers yard'. - without the big dog. :biggrin:

Not fair. I have never come across a bicycle breakers yard (even if my garage does resemble one!). Old bikes here are usually to be found in hedge rows rusted solid.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
MacBludgeon said:
This is the Surly I've built up around the SRAM I-9 so, if I do that, there may be a very new wheel, Mavic A719, with SRAM I-9 up for sale.

i wouldn't sell or dismantle it if i were you. just buy a tent and head off...you'll enjoy touring and you'll be pleased with the ratios when you cross the lakes with the full 15kgs of camping stuff;)

have you any pics of it?, and what size chainwheel/sprocket are you using?

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

hubgearfreak said:
i wouldn't sell or dismantle it if i were you. just buy a tent and head off...you'll enjoy touring and you'll be pleased with the ratios when you cross the lakes with the full 15kgs of camping stuff;)

have you any pics of it?, and what size chainwheel/sprocket are you using?

will do the full pics soon, I'm rubbish at that sort of thing, running 48/21 at present giving me a direct drive gear of 62.1 inches and range of 33.7 to 114.5. If I'm keeping it I may move to a 20 cog to give direct drive at 65.2 inches.

The Sturmey Archer is going to be 44/18 which give 48.5, 66.4 and 90.3, both measurements are based around 700cx35mm. The gear inches do vary a fair bit if you go down to skinnier tyres.

Commute only I can't see me needing easier than 48.5 inch gear, but agreed, if used for other stuff then I'd need less.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
haha...my commute home. look carefully at the railings on the right. that are levelxx(

20090510_LINCOLNGP_033.JPG

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

ah, I've only got a couple of bits that are very steep, but they are also very short, so a quick honk out of the saddle sees them over.

I fitted a new SRAM Torpedo 3spd coaster to my Africa bike recently. They've done away with the old click box (on this model at least) which makes removing and reinstalling the wheel significantly less complicated than with a Sturmey or Shi**no hub. Fitted with the old style Sturmeyesque lever rather than the recommended grip shift shifter it operates arse about tit or 'rapid rise' in Shi**nospeak which I am yet to get my head round. Other than that it works flawlessly.

Whilst we are on the subject, the two quickest ways to destroy an internally geared hub are to (1) Install it in drop-outs which are not perfectly parallel and (2) Ride it for any distance out of adjustment.

Top Bottom