3 speed vs 6 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I rarely get use 6th, but I could do with a slightly lower first. Might change the chainring. I fully intended to tour the Brom when I got it, and I've done so a few times. If there's any chance you might need six gears, get them from the outset. It's cheaper and easier that way.

byegad

Legendary Member
My Speed-Pro has 24 speeds. An 8 speed cluster on a SRAM 3 speed hub. Range 20-114" IIRC and yes I use them all.

Kell

Veteran
I ummed and ahhed before making the decision. I hired a 3-speed for a month while mine was being built.

It worked perfectly for my commute, but then that isn't the only commute I do.

When my daughter's not at school (and I don't have to drop her at the child minder) I take the opportunity to ride to and from the station. Which includes a pretty steep hill.

This was do-able in 4th gear on my old 24 speed Dahon, in 1st on my road bike and I never tried it on the 3 speed.

I definitely need the lowest gear for that. But my normal commute sees me using only the top three. And 6th not that often.

mustang1

Guru
2 speed because I was thinking if I should get a single speed or 3 speed and decided to take the average.

Also it was available as a Black Edition.

bikegang

Mod before ride, my bike my style...
2 speed will be a safe entry B, easier to upgrade to 6 speed or 10 speed.

3 speed to 6 speed will require more components to fiddle with and parts to change.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I take your point, but if you're ever going to want 6 speeds it's far cheaper to get then from the outset. Going from 2 to 6 costs £65 on the buld-a-Brompton order site, but over £200 to retrofit to an existing bike, as it's a whole new wheel.

bikegang

Mod before ride, my bike my style...
True, so test ride in LBS or with brompton hire (what gears they offer?) will be more important than guess work...

One lightest 2 speed Ti brompton for commuting and carrying (workday) and one touring B setup with 6 or more gears and front rear racks (holiday) will be my dream combo. ^_^

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
A 6 speed Brommie with T-Bag is ideal for touring. @Trikeman of this parish has a 8 speed Brommie which he's fond of, but that's a custom job from Kinetics IIRC. Looks neater and has more intuitive shifting, but is a bit heavier and probably more expensive. I'd like to try one.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
True, so test ride in LBS or with brompton hire (what gears they offer?) will be more important than guess work...

One lightest 2 speed Ti brompton for commuting and carrying (workday) and one touring B setup with 6 or more gears and front rear racks (holiday) will be my dream combo. ^_^
Me too ....

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You could achieve that with an extra wheel, as noted above, and taping the gear indicator to the frame when running in 2 speed mode!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
8 speed to rule them all. Start with a ss B, buy a conversion kit. Takes about an hour and a half to fit. Wonder why B don't fit them at the factory. Ride.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
@Trikeman of this parish has a 8 speed Brommie which he's fond of, but that's a custom job from Kinetics IIRC. Looks neater and has more intuitive shifting, but is a bit heavier and probably more expensive. I'd like to try one.
Mine is from Tiller Cycles, and yep, very nice shifting, heavier and a bit more expensive, but worth every penny. You'd be welcome to try it.

Top Bottom