3 year ASBO for bike thief - Reece Robertson.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/crime/asbo-boy-cant-touch-a-bike-for-3-years-7636463.html

It good to see something finally being done, but it's very likely that Reece Robertson will soon be back handling stolen bikes.

I know that bike crime will never be top of the Police agenda but I would like to see more sting operations by the Police using decoy bikes. It would make the theives think twice.

Keep a look out for this scrote in the Islington area.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From the Standard today

11 April 2012
A cycle thief has received an Asbo banning him from touching any bike he doesn’t own for three years.
Reece Robertson, 17, faces a lengthy jail sentence if he is caught handling or riding a bike unless he has documents proving that he is the owner.
It is the first time that such a restriction has been placed on a bike thief caught by the Metropolitan Police’s cycle task force.
Officers today asked the public to contact them if they spot Robertson breaching the terms of his ban.
Robertson, from Islington, had the Asbo imposed by Highbury Corner magistrates after being caught attempting to steal a bike in Exmouth Market in Clerkenwell. He was also placed under a three-month curfew and given a supervision order for 18 months.
An accomplice, Steven Dedman, 19, also from Islington, was jailed for six weeks after being convicted of theft. Both were caught red-handed by the Met’s cycle task force during a covert operation at the market.
Dedman was spotted loitering around a decoy bike for several hours and was joined by Robertson, who cut the lock securing the bike to a lamp post.
Robertson was detained immediately while Dedman attempted to escape on his own bike but rode straight into the path of a police officer.
Commander Adrian Hanstock, of the Met’s safer transport command, said: “This is a significant decision of the court which has resulted in harsh sentences.
“Cycle theft is a crime that can have a considerable impact on victims and the Met and its policing partners, Transport for London, will continue to target those involved.”
The cycle task force, set up in 2010 with funding from TfL, has made more than 250 arrests.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
So obviously it will have the desired effect as police will be watching him constantly....NOT. He could knick loads more bikes and still not get caught or punished. This is just a joke really. He needs banging up...period.

Norm

If it looks a little out of sequence above, I've merged the two current threads. If only it was as easy to remove the offender from the planet.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
So obviously it will have the desired effect as police will be watching him constantly....NOT. He could knick loads more bikes and still not get caught or punished. This is just a joke really. He needs banging up...period.

That is the point of the ASBO. He can't get banged up for nicking bikes, but can be for breaching an ASBO.

Shoulda smashed his theivin little fingers.
Back in 1990 a woman from a pit village in the north east came home to find a local toe-rag burgling her house.
She caught him then took him into a store area by her back door, grabbed an axe she used for chopping firewood, reversed it... Then smashed the fingers on both his hands.
She did 9- months of 18 for gbh then after getting out every time she sees him she gives him a slap and said she would continue to do so every time - once for each day she was in prison.
She also said that he was overheard telling another scroat that when it was cold his hands hurt like hell where they were busted.
Now that's social justice ;)

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Asbo, complete waste of time. what the **** is wrong with our system.

Ste T.

Guru
And there is me thinking Geordie girls got their hard reputation from going out clubbing in the winter without a coat.:ohmy:

Asbo, complete waste of time. what the **** is wrong with our system.

A mistaken belief that rehabilitation is possible in habitual offenders. A reluctance to place people in jail when cheaper options are available, and a reluctance to spend money to build enough jails to deal with the increased need for places.

And that's just to start with.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
so how many lost there bikes to this oik? and at what cost to us all? bring back slavery and he wears shackels and works untill this debt is paid! but ive been told im to harsh pah!!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Look, sending him to prison would, in all likelihood, have simply been a very expensive way of turning a petty criminal into a hardened one.

I'm interested in what works, and the evidence shows that prison simply doesn't work, either as a deterrent or as a method of rehabilitation.

I'm not convinced the ASBO will be any more successful though.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Look, sending him to prison would, in all likelihood, have simply been a very expensive way of turning a petty criminal into a hardened one.

I'm interested in what works, and the evidence shows that prison simply doesn't work, either as a deterrent or as a method of rehabilitation.

I'm not convinced the ASBO will be any more successful though.

Agree. prison is not a good deterrent for these scrotes.
Cutting their hands off is.

Norm

Agree. prison is not a good deterrent for these scrotes.
Cutting their hands off is.
I agree that there should be a lenient approach for the first offence, but I think this should go hand in hand **groan** with actually repaying the debt to everyone that they have stolen from.

Top Bottom