30 mile commute - advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My work is moving site. The new one is 30 miles away. Any advice?

I currently commute 8 miles each way in all weathers. I'm thinking train to and from station most days and ride all the way home before my days off.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Blimey that's a fair old way.
I wouldn't like to do it. Especially when the weather is not so great. And you would not to want to spend all those hours in the saddle day after day either.
How about a Brommie for the train?

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Eak- that's a heck of a way- have you got a car you could put your bike in or on? Then drive 15/20 miles, park up somewhere and ride the rest?

jarlrmai

Veteran
60 miles a day is on the very edge of every day doable, even if you are fit and resist injury you'll literally have no life due to the time it takes to cycle 60 miles.

Source I have a mate who does it.

Tribanite

I do 20-23 miles each way,and it is a long day. I couldn't do it more than 2-3 times in a week,and it's usually on nice days with no high winds.
The rest days have me wanting to go again

cloggsy

Boardmanist
Ride it at a weekend and see how you feel...

mangid

Guru
My work is moving site. The new one is 30 miles away. Any advice?

I currently commute 8 miles each way in all weathers. I'm thinking train to and from station most days and ride all the way home before my days off.

Must admit I'm a morning person, and do 40 in most mornings, so the train option and one way sounds doable. I find mornings better, because there's less need for me at home, the roads are quieter, and once it starts brightening it's just glorious! I'll sometimes do a longer ride home in the evenings, but I always find it less relaxing.

boydj

Legendary Member
Train in and ride home, or vice-versa depending on wind direction, should be doable at least 3 days a week.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
With the current weather as is it would be a tough call every day. But with the days slowly becoming longer I would grasp what seems a nice opportunity for some miles.

I'll do a 30 mile round trip in the darker winter months but up this to around 60 as Springs starts. With you Mangid, cycling in the morning as the sun rises is just bea-utiful !

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Why not give it a go - what have you got to lose?

Personally I would consider the there-and-back on a bike option to be the least hassle. Pick the best 2 days for weather, in any given week and go for it!

If you have a car, the car part way in & cycle is always an option (as already suggested; it is one that one of our neighbours does.
Another is to drive the bike in one day, ride home, ride back the following am & drive home... Wednesday off and then repeat: if there is suitable parking at work that is where you can safely leave your car.

Top Bottom