30 mile commute - advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
My journey to work is a little over 60 miles. Winter months I drive about half then cycle the rest on the GBW. This way I cycle about 33-35 miles round trip, 40 if I have to do things after work. Summer months I ride the whole way if working weekends or 3 days a week. But stopped due to being run off road by a Fenland redneck last August B/Hol. The prob I find is being constantly hungry and getting enough good sleep. On my days off I just eat and sleep the first if I am off for two days. During this winter it has been a killer. You will need good kit, good lights, a sorted bike, to make regular cleaning and lubing of your bike which takes time and becomes a real chore IMHO when all you want to do is other stuff. If you CBA with the regular bike maintenance that you WILL need to do and constant tiredness then forget it. Buy a cheap car instead.

OP
OP
johnr

johnr

Über Member
Thanks for all that. Clearly the gauntlet has been thrown down and I'll have to see whether I can meet the challenge! I'll be working nights, so the ride home will always be in the morning. My partner currently works away, so I don't have much in way of commitments during the week - the eating/sleeping/working lifestyle may be doable. The ride will be pretty flat too, which is a plus. The move is in March, so I'll let you know how it goes.

MisterStan

Label Required
Thanks for all that. Clearly the gauntlet has been thrown down and I'll have to see whether I can meet the challenge! I'll be working nights, so the ride home will always be in the morning. My partner currently works away, so I don't have much in way of commitments during the week - the eating/sleeping/working lifestyle may be doable. The ride will be pretty flat too, which is a plus. The move is in March, so I'll let you know how it goes.
Good luck! And do keep us posted.

headcoat

Über Member
Good luck! I would use a mixture of bike/train/car just mix them up to suit. I used to get the train and then ride the last 7 miles, and more often than not on the way back ride 10 miles and get the train further down the line. I am now car/cycling and drive then cycle the last 7 miles.

I must admit I did more cycling when on the train as I had the option to get on further down the line and once of twice have ridden all the way home about 30miles.

400bhp

Guru
Might be worth starting to build up the miles before the move too, so you gradually get more used to the long commutes.

Good luck.

What's the terrain like? flat/rural/traffic lights etc?

lukesdad

Don't think about it too much, just get on and do it you'll soon get used to it. Starting mine up again in March after a year and a half of doing it occaisonally. < Only bloody way I'm going to keep 'Ducky' pegged on MCL > ^_^

Crankarm

Guru
Don't think about it too much, just get on and do it you'll soon get used to it. Starting mine up again in March after a year and a half of doing it occaisonally. < Only bloody way I'm going to keep 'Ducky' pegged on MCL > ^_^

Commuting 60 miles a day and doing a full days work is a serious physical commitment especially if you don't spend your working day sitting on your behind. You will be permantently hungry and tired. Days off you will eat and sleep.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I do a 37 mile round trip commute 5 days a week, but it's on or near the limit of what's practical, because I spend 2.5 hours a day commuting. Any more, and I just wouldn't have enough spare time on weekdays. It's a hilly commute, too, with at least 3000ft climbing per round trip daily commute.

60 miles per day sounds pretty tough, so I agree with those who said make it multi-modal, perhaps train + bike?

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
My round trip is 40 miles. It's only just do-able. It isn't the physical effort so much, although when I've been out of the saddle for a while it takes some time to get back into it, but the time commitment. I sure wouldn't like to add another 10 miles to my commute distance! In your case, I'd do as everyone else suggests and combine bike/car or bike/train.

lukesdad

Commuting 60 miles a day and doing a full days work is a serious physical commitment especially if you don't spend your working day sitting on your behind. You will be permantently hungry and tired. Days off you will eat and sleep.
Thats me told then ! Must remember to tell the missus not to wake me on my days off and have the dinner ready when I get in. :laugh:

Top Bottom