30 miles...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
About the same. 30 is a nice round number.
Even though I'm powered these days, 50 seems a 'long day ride'.

Alex321

Veteran
I don't get to do 30 miles nearly as often as I would like.

I'm still in full time employment, so during the week, my rides are either commutes (15.3 miles each way), or are after work if WFH, when I can rarely spare more than about an hour to an hour and a half, so usually 15-23 miles. I do feel that s enough to be worthwhile.

But I can do a fair bit more than that before getting too tired, and quite often manage a 30 miler (or more) at the weekend. The most I have done to date is a 55 mile ride a few weeks ago.

Jameshow

Veteran
Agreed without stopping it's about my limit.

But with breaks 90 / 120 miles is quite enjoyable!

I love seeing the countryside roll by, the different people, villages and landscapes one passes through, the food eaten, the distance on a map traveled.

All missed at 70mph. Replaced by a big Mac in a sterile service station!

mustang1

Guru
I do it more in terms of time. I don't like riding less than an hour so that's my minimum:

An hour on the road bike around town gets me about 20km.
On the open road, an hour gets me 25km.
Off-road gives me 15km.
Off-road on e-mtb gives me 20km.

I generally don't like riding more than 2 hours but that's because I start feeling guilty that I should do something more constructive instead (that's a mental block).

Physically, I'm happy to ride 3 hours in one go before stopping for a quick snack but if my plan is to ride for more than 3 hours then I need to set alarms to take breaks every 1 hour. If I take a break of longer than 20 minutes on those longer rides then it's a real chore to get back on and have any kind of pace but I think that's more because that longer break gives me an excuse to eat a lot of rubbish food which makes me lethargic.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I try and get one ride in a week that gets me close to 50 miles , this will get harder as winter closes in due to risk's of frost etc etc.
I don't like stopping for breaks and refuse to pay for snacks and tea when i have plenty of both at home already paid for .

Biggest reason not to be out all day is guilt as whilst i am out enjoying myself swmbo is stuck at home and task's are stacking up waiting to be done

Mo1959

Legendary Member
My love of cycling has fallen away recently so 25 - 30 is plenty for me. Gone are the days when I regularly knocked out 40 - 50 most days trying to do stupid Strava challenges! :laugh: My lumbar disc/sciatic problems seem to have robbed me of leg strength over the last few years so it’s just a hard slog to go any further now.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A nice 100 miler is my favourite. For the same reasons as @Jameshow said above. Its great being on the bike watching the world go by, discovering new roads and visiting new places.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think mine is about 60 miles/100k.

100 miles involves pushing myself, which I enjoy doing, but it's going above and beyond. 200k audaxes are an occasional thing and go into the "type 2 fun" zone for me.

That said, it all depends how hilly it is.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My weekend rides are usually 25-50 miles depending on available time & whether with the OH or riding mates, the OH will tend towards a 20-35 miler except on special occasions, like a cycling weekend away we'll aim for 40-50 mile day. 60 miles feels like a good long ride that's earned your food and drink. I do the occasional ton but that is an all day commitment, which I rarely have the luxury of.

CXRAndy

Guru
In the spring / summer up to 40 miles is enough as I am a solo rider and in autumn/winter, up to 25 miles according to road conditions, weather and also reduced fitness due to less going out.

I'm the opposite, I do vast of my riding indoors (Zwift) and mostly in winter, then have the odd day outside when the weather is optimal in summer. This summer the Mrs and I visited all the local hostelries, doing upto 25 miles per trip. This sparked her interest in doing a tour next summer

Top Bottom