30 second Wattbike challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The Giant showroom in Sheffield is doing a 30 second Wattbike challenge in aid of Sheffield foodbank. Basically they set the resistance depending on your weight, you pedal like billy-o for 30secs and they give you your stats. £1 entry, winner gets a bike fit. I got:
  • Average output 567W
  • Max output 710W
  • Power:weight 8.76 W/kg
  • Fatigue level 36%
Apparently I'm the best non-staff member so far (out of a very small pool of seven).

Anyone else having a go? And, since I've never used a power meter before, do those stats look any good?

huwsparky

Über Member
Don't really know, but I did read somewhere that Chris Hoy can produce 2.5Kw, or at least could!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The Giant showroom in Sheffield is doing a 30 second Wattbike challenge in aid of Sheffield foodbank. Basically they set the resistance depending on your weight, you pedal like billy-o for 30secs and they give you your stats. £1 entry, winner gets a bike fit. I got:
  • Average output 567W
  • Max output 710W
  • Power:weight 8.76 W/kg
  • Fatigue level 36%
Apparently I'm the best non-staff member so far (out of a very small pool of seven).

Anyone else having a go? And, since I've never used a power meter before, do those stats look any good?

Is that W/kg over 30 secs or peak power? I think either way you would fall into the untrained category on the Coggan power profile (which should be taken as intended, a guide not an absolute).

Last edited:
OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Is that W/kg over 30 secs or peak power? I think either way you would fall into the untrained category on the Coggan power profile (which should be taken as intended, a guide not an absolute).
That's over the full 30 secs. Peak was 11.0 W/kg over 5 secs. Untrained does describe me, although now I've googled the Coggan profile it would have been nice to edge it into fair.

This is of course, all just a bit of fun messing about in the shop on a Saturday morning :smile:.

Top Bottom