30t cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
There needs to be a maximum range between the cogs, so I can get an 11-28 to work but it'd need to be 13/14-30.

Adding a rear derailleur extension to the rear mech would mean 11-30 would work.

OP
OP
P

paxterg

Veteran
I have a compact crank, I'm looking for the best gearing for the Fred Whitton in June. A 28 would probably do but a 30 would be nicer!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
You will need more than that come end of the day, unless you are quite light

Nah, I'm 85kg and got up the Hardknott on 34/28 last year.

Only just, mind.

Edit: To answer the OPs question, it's very likely but not certain that you'd get away with a 30. No way to be sure except by trying.

Stompier

Go for the biggest range you can get away with. If you think you'll be ok on a 28 or a 30, then get a 32. If this means getting a new rear mech, then it's probably worth it for the event. You can always sell it afterwards. FW is not to be underestimated, especially for first timers.

Oh and weight (as mentioned upthread) - in isolation - is completely irrelevant.

OP
OP
P

paxterg

Veteran
I've ordered a 28, just to be on the safe side, I'm around 70kg but hope to be around 65ish when the event come round, hopefully I'll be OK!

Stompier

I've ordered a 28, just to be on the safe side, I'm around 70kg but hope to be around 65ish when the event come round, hopefully I'll be OK!

32 would be 'on the safe side' not 28 - but it's your decision, obviously.

Top Bottom