32 tooth cog on road bike rear cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
...and old farts like me ... I'm thinking of going to 11-34 with 22-36-48 the same as my MTB

Be you and me both then.

My only concern is whether the 22 with 34 is too low for getting started, and whether balancing at the lowest achievable speed is going to be difficult. As I said above, the big benefit I can see is having the rest of the gears tighter spaced.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Be you and me both then.

My only concern is whether the 22 with 34 is too low for getting started, and whether balancing at the lowest achievable speed is going to be difficult. As I said above, the big benefit I can see is having the rest of the gears tighter spaced.

As I'm very slow getting up hills due to old age and now with emphysema I can peddle very slowly without falling off, on one hill I go up the top speed is 3.3 mph, I refuse to get off and push the day I do that my bikes goes on e-bay

Davidc

Guru
As I'm very slow getting up hills due to old age and now with emphysema I can peddle very slowly without falling off, on one hill I go up the top speed is 3.3 mph, I refuse to get off and push the day I do that my bikes goes on e-bay

Sounds about right to me. I go up a hill called Blagdon Hill, onto the Blackdowns, and always get down to 3 mph on two stretches. I couldn't do it without walking until I put the 22 ring on.

There's one road I use to go up onto the Quantocks on which I accept defeat and walk every time and I don't think a couple of teeth on the cassette will change that. It is a 30% gradient where I get off though. I can go up by a different route, mainly at 3 to 4 mph but it's 2 miles further and takes longer.

e-rider

crappy member
having a 32 spocket with a compact chainset (34t) on a normal road bike (ie. not a tourer) is completely stupid IMO - unless you frequently ride up 1:4 hills!

GrasB

Veteran
With 700x23 tyres 34:32 is 8.3mph/100 rpm. If one produces around 205w they'll be climbing a 15% slope at 4mph making their cadence 48.2rpm... Some people have road bikes because they're the best type of bike for the type of riding they do not because they're super strong cyclists.

Actually thinking about it there one guy that people would label as "all the gear, no idea" a few years ago. He actually had a fairly good idea, it's just he wasn't very fit. I after several failed 10 mile rides I ended up having to fit an MTB rear mech & cassette to his bike because he couldn't climb the steep stuff around here (that's what 8-10% maximum gradient). For him that a 32t road cassette would have been perfect at that time.

U

User6179

Eddy, I'd have a look at the SRAM 12-32 it's rather different than the classical 11-32 setup:
12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-24-32 - SRAM
11-12-14-16-18-20-22-25-28-32 - shimano

That sram set-up looks far better than my shimano set-up which was 11/13/15/17/20/23/26/32 but still to low for me.

Garz

Squat Member
having a 32 spocket with a compact chainset (34t) on a normal road bike (ie. not a tourer) is completely stupid IMO - unless you frequently ride up 1:4 hills!

A bit harsh that.
biggrin.gif

I would agree that on a compact with no burden/touring I would think a 25t would be ample or a 27t if 'hilly' course. Peoples fitness and age will of course debunk this statement.
laugh.gif

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's

I think you've got to learn to just come out and say things T, stop holding back and pussy footing around. I mean you're so right, it's insane, if they have a 34x27 bottom that gives them a 33 inch low gear, but Shimano road now goes to 28 so that's a 32 inch low. Why on earth would they want a ludicrous 34x32 at 28 inches, they've either got to 'man up' or get off and walk. If they're smart they'll cram in more big gears and make up for walking by bombing down the other side.

Nah, it's no good, I can't believe I'm even thinking about this, unless they ride a 53/42 with an 11-21 then it's just not worth trying to teach them.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
........Nah, it's no good, I can't believe I'm even thinking about this, unless they ride a 53/42 with an 11-21 then it's just not worth trying to teach them.
53/42 with a 21 on the back would be the choice of a true tough guy

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

No it's not.

I can think of several times when I could use 34x32, being 48, bit overweight and with CHD such gearing would be useful, thanks. There are probably quite a few people that would find that gearing useful. .

Last summer I sat at the top of Ditchling Beacon licking my ice-cream watching L2B participants cresting the rise. An awful lot of people now ride-up not because of great improvements in fitness but due to lower gearing.
In particular I noted a disproportionately large number of girls on sit-up and beg hybrid types successfully cycling all the way while many flash roadies were walking. It slowly dawned on me that the Shimano 'Megarange' cassettes fitted to the girls hybrids were allowing them to succeed where the roadies were failing.

There's far to much macho bullshit written about gearing.

frank9755

Cyclist
There's far to much macho bullshit written about gearing.

Agreed!

The way to decide what you need is to start by working out what cadence you want to ride up the steeper hills you are going to be riding up. It's different for different people, essentially depending on how strong you are.

If you look at the pros they spin up climbs at a high cadence - I don't know what but guessing, 70+. Presumably if they thought it was better to grind up at a cadence of 20, they would put a 200 inch gear on and do that (if there was chainring clearance), but they don't.

I like spinning up hills too. It's easier on my knees, feels more efficient and I go up at least as fast as I do if I shift up three gears and stand on the pedals (that option is still open!). But being less strong than top riders I need significantly lower gears to do it, which means a small front chainring and something of a similar size as my largest sprocket. It might not make the bike look cool but that isn't my objective.

Found this a usefull post. When the bike goes in for servicing before the Haltwhistle - LE- Dover- Haltwhistle in late May early June I may change the gearing to 32 rear and 50/34 front depending on what the LBs advices.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Found a review about this very same groupset in cycling plus. Sram Apex its called and it seemed to come out with a good review comparing favourably with Shimano 105.

Personally I am happy to use a triple but if I had to have a compact I would definitely consider it.Even if you rarely ever used the 32 it would allways be there ready for the day your tired legs needed it.

Top Bottom