32mm road tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Guru
I run a gravel bike on the road for winter as I can fit mudguards, which I can't on my posh bike. 2 sets of wheels so can switch between road and off road tyres easily.

I've been running 28mm slicks on it on the road, for a bit more comfort than 25mm. These need replacing soon and I was wondering about going a bit bigger. Anyone got experience of running 32mm slicks - more comfort? similar rolling resistance etc. Clearance isn't an issue.

Thoughts / experiences?

rivers

How far can I go?
I'm running 32mm Pirelli cinturato's on my winter bike. They roll well and have good puncture resistance.

I used to switch between Schwalbe Marathon (plain) in 28 and 32.
32 gave a more comfortable ride and were better over tracks and trails. 28 were a bit lighter and accelerated better.
At the same pressure, wider tyres have better rolling resistance but worse air resistance. Thinner tyres usually take higher air pressure. An additional variable is the actual size of 28mm which is the most highly variable of any tyre size, across brands and models

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
currently running wiggle lifeline commuter tyres in 28s , they are a lot wider than the 28s that came as stock and im very impressed for the price

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Guru
currently running wiggle lifeline commuter tyres in 28s , they are a lot wider than the 28s that came as stock and I'm very impressed for the price
I run / ran the Lifeline prime armour 28s on my london singlespeed bike. I too was very impressed for the price:okay:.

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Guru
I’ve run 32 and 28mm Duranos, 32s definitely felt slower although a heavier bike
Inconclusive then. Wiggle have some 32mm gatorskins in stock, which might be worth a whirl. need to be essentially tread free but decent puncture protection, but still a decent ride. Defo not marathons, reserve those for the Brompton.

vickster

Legendary Member
Inconclusive then. Wiggle have some 32mm gatorskins in stock, which might be worth a whirl. need to be essentially tread free but decent puncture protection, but still a decent ride. Defo not marathons, reserve those for the Brompton.
I expect it’s rather individual and I’m not exactly a racer!
There’s a 30mm Durano I think for a compromise :biggrin:
I hated Marathon Plus fwiw!

Xipe Totec

Frrrg rrrrf yrrrr crrrnds
I've run 32/35mm Marathons & Lifelines on my winter hack & always found them wooden & sluggish. Was using the bike a lot last summer, doing regular shortish lockdown rides with my partner, & took a punt on some cheapo Arisun Rapide 32mms from Ebay. Very impressed - would say they transformed the bike, very smooth, comfortable & felt a lot quicker.

Don't really know how long they'll last or how durable they are as I've been on the turbo over the winter.

I tried bigger tires on my hybrid. having more volume changed the riding dynamics. I liked it, especially on sandy roads. good for a bike used on non-performance rides, with family on vacations, or Saturday rides w/ Wifey. or solo rides on unpaved rail trails that aren't gnarly

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I just had a 32c Marathon Supreme tyre off because of a mystery flat. I was surprised just how light the tyre was and they do roll very well. They're pricy but they're excellent. I'm running folders so they're easy to get on and off.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've been running specialized Roubaix pro 32mm on the commuter for a couple of years. Excellent tyre, rides well and seems puncture resistant to.

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Guru
I might swap to the prime armours for a while as they are sat on an unused bike and revisit when there is more stock and bargains around. The Conti Ultra sports that are on there at the moment seem either unlucky or prone to flint punctures, mind they are/were cheap.

Top Bottom