35, overweight, and out of shape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hey all!

So I used to be quite athletic in High School and for a short period after. Between jobs, kids, wife, and lots of excuses I fell out of the habit. About 9 months ago I took a desk job, which I enjoy but has decreased my activity even more. I've put on 30 lbs since then :ohmy:. In an attempt to loose some weight and get fit again I purchased a TacX smart trainer and have subscribed to Bkool.

In my first 3 sessions I've learned some things. I'm getting out of breath super easy, and 10 minutes is more than enough to make my legs and glutes burn like hell.

I'm trying to make some small changes to my diet as well so as to work together with the exercise, food is my weakness and always will be I'm sure. If I can at least cut out the worst of it and pedal away some extra calories I think I can make progress.

Aside from any words of encouragement, does anyone on here use Bkool as a weight loss/get fit program? Any suggestions for courses to ride, groups to join, or leagues? I've posted a bit over in the Virtual trainer section for more specific answers, but mostly I'm just looking for opinions on the best way to help me loose some weight and maybe have some fun doing it.

Use a bike for as much local transportation as possible. If you work within10 miles of home you can commute by bike. It may take a few weeks or months untill you are fit enough to use a bike for anything resembling training. Just ride, on road, trail or trainer. Start small and increase by small increments.

screenman

Legendary Member
You cannot outrun a bad diet, and I have tried. Next time you are in a supermarket try picking up 14 bags of sugar in one go, great way of seeing why you ache.

grumpyoldwoman

Not used my car for over year now,It's sat on the drive on a SORN (getting her through the MOT will probably cost more than the car is worth,so no hurry) hence why at the ancient age of 52yrs old I'm no longer quite as fat or unfit as I was -cycling to work about 5 or 6 days a week has done wonders! Is it possible you could try cycling to work?

OP
OP
Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81

Regular
Thanks guys, I know the importance of eating better. But I also know if I make to many changes at once it won't work, I've been down that road before. So the diet will change little by little, in fact I'm already eating better than I was 6 months ago. Here in Northeastern United States it's starting to get quite cold and nasty, soon the snow will be on the ground. That's one reason I opted for the trainer. I'm hoping by the time spring rolls around I may be ready to bike to work and back everyday, about 10 miles each direction.

U

User6179

You cannot outrun a bad diet, and I have tried. Next time you are in a supermarket try picking up 14 bags of sugar in one go, great way of seeing why you ache.

I always think looking on your excess weight as 500ml water bottles is a better way to look at it , 3 stone equals 38 extra water bottles you are carrying about ^_^

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I was spectacularly unfit eight years ago. I'm no Greek god now either. I thought I was actually going to die during my very first five mile ride to work....nausea, dizziness, the whole deal. I just very gently rode a bit more frequently. After a few weeks, it started to be something that I liked and wanted to do, rather than some kind of hateful regime that had to be stuck to. Getting out on the road and enjoying it seemed to work for me. Just ride at whatever speed you like and have fun.

Good luck.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Hey all!

So I used to be quite athletic in High School and for a short period after. Between jobs, kids, wife, and lots of excuses I fell out of the habit. About 9 months ago I took a desk job, which I enjoy but has decreased my activity even more. I've put on 30 lbs since then :ohmy:. In an attempt to loose some weight and get fit again I purchased a TacX smart trainer and have subscribed to Bkool.

In my first 3 sessions I've learned some things. I'm getting out of breath super easy, and 10 minutes is more than enough to make my legs and glutes burn like hell.

I'm trying to make some small changes to my diet as well so as to work together with the exercise, food is my weakness and always will be I'm sure. If I can at least cut out the worst of it and pedal away some extra calories I think I can make progress.

Aside from any words of encouragement, does anyone on here use Bkool as a weight loss/get fit program? Any suggestions for courses to ride, groups to join, or leagues? I've posted a bit over in the Virtual trainer section for more specific answers, but mostly I'm just looking for opinions on the best way to help me loose some weight and maybe have some fun doing it.

Hi, I am 35 and overweight too! Welcome to the club. I was 18.5 stone a year ago and managed to lose 2 stone through cycling and sensible eating.

The main thing I did was cut out quite a lot of alcohol and rubbish foods. I monitored my calorie intake through My Fitness Pal. I allowed myself some beers if I had done plenty of exercise that week.

Then I would aim to cycle at least 50 miles a week. I found that with watching my food and a bit of exercise I was losing 2-3lbs a week and it didn't seem too hard to do. It's just getting into the mindset that you are going to do it and sticking to it.

I would religiously weigh myself on a Monday morning (after a poo) and use this as motivation for the next week.

And if you have any big drinking sessions / meals on a weekend just make sure that morning you are out on your bike working the calories off in advance!!!

Good luck!

OP
OP
Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81

Regular
Hi, I am 35 and overweight too! Welcome to the club. I was 18.5 stone a year ago and managed to lose 2 stone through cycling and sensible eating.

The main thing I did was cut out quite a lot of alcohol and rubbish foods. I monitored my calorie intake through My Fitness Pal. I allowed myself some beers if I had done plenty of exercise that week.

Then I would aim to cycle at least 50 miles a week. I found that with watching my food and a bit of exercise I was losing 2-3lbs a week and it didn't seem too hard to do. It's just getting into the mindset that you are going to do it and sticking to it.

I would religiously weigh myself on a Monday morning (after a poo) and use this as motivation for the next week.

And if you have any big drinking sessions / meals on a weekend just make sure that morning you are out on your bike working the calories off in advance!!!

Good luck!

Is there a club initiation? :laugh: I've used My Fitness Pal before, but would usually find myself skipping it because it was a bit of work adding in portions and creating your meals. I may try it again though as it does help you realize what you're putting into your body. I'll have to come up with a weekly mileage goal for myself, I like that idea.

Good luck. You have the right idea - sustainable changes and enjoying your riding rather than short lived fads and punishment exercise.

Becoming teetotal about 10 years ago worked wonders for me, but that's a bit of a radical step that not everyone wants to take.

I'm not much of a drinker anyway, I have a couple beers on the weekends and that's about it so not many calories to cut out there. I need to work on lowering my sugar intake and empty carbs, I think that would be a good place to start. Thanks for the encouragement!!

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Hey all!

Hi and welcome!
I decided to get a bkool pro and use bkool last March with the idea to lose weight and get fit. I started at around 18 1/2 stone but weight loss only really started when I sorted out my diet and biked regularly (4 or 5 days per week).
Diet is massively important and this has to be a decision that you have to consciously until a change in diet becomes a sub conscious decision.
I massively reduced carbs and bulked up on protein and vegetables. Also, count calories and compare them to how many you are burning off... with all the hard work on the trainer you start to get a bit precious about eating them all again. Drink loads of water, fizzy with fresh lemons is great, don't use artificial sweetners unless it is stevia (natural), the idea being that this will help to improve the bodies reaction to sugar levels in the blood (sweetners are counter productive to the body).
Also focus on recovery, rest and nutrition. I found beetroot works well!
I try to be good in the week and sensible on the weekend.
The first part of cycling helped to get rid of the visceral fat and then the fitness kicked in. I am now at 16 stone and even I managed a 100 mile ride a few weeks back!
Bkool is really good. Have a look at some of the leagues and focus on the easy rides when training, looking at increasing your cadence to around 90 to 100. Use bkool to track you weight and power and over time you can see your performance getting better.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Is there a club initiation? :laugh: I've used My Fitness Pal before, but would usually find myself skipping it because it was a bit of work adding in portions and creating your meals. I may try it again though as it does help you realize what you're putting into your body. I'll have to come up with a weekly mileage goal for myself, I like that idea.

I'm not much of a drinker anyway, I have a couple beers on the weekends and that's about it so not many calories to cut out there. I need to work on lowering my sugar intake and empty carbs, I think that would be a good place to start. Thanks for the encouragement!!

MyFitnessPal has got easier over the last few months. What I was doing was eating the same kind of things all the time. Boring I know but helped me keep track and aware of what portion sizes were right etc.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
MyFitnessPal has got easier over the last few months. What I was doing was eating the same kind of things all the time. Boring I know but helped me keep track and aware of what portion sizes were right etc.
My biggest problem is nice ales and snacks, all at the wrong end of the day. I really have to drink fizzy water and eat fruit in the week and the weight starts to drop off.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hi,

First thing I'd recommend, is to get yourself checked out with a doctor - to ensure that you have no underlying condition that might prevent you from training. Once you've had the 'all clear', I'd get out and do some running and cycling. Running will develop your fitness levels faster than cycling, but take care not to overdo it - with cycling, you are less likely to suffer overuse injuries.

I don't use exercise programs, fitness software, or heart rate monitors, I just get out of the front door and run or cycle.

Being only 35, you have plenty of time to develop a good level of fitness, my training 'lapsed' a bit between the ages of 35 - 40, but when I got to 41/42, I was running really well.

Don't let age be an excuse, if you want inspiration, take a read of this :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/athletics/2016/10/20/ed-whitlock-85-is-a-role-model-to-inspire-us-all/

Among his accomplishments is being the first person to have run under three hours for the marathon after turning 70 - he had been a fine runner in his teens and 20s, but didn't start again with running, until he was in his 40s.

IMO, the hardest part of training (particularly at this time of year) is getting out through the front door and doing something. Enjoy what you do !

Top Bottom