35mm wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Just seen some 35mm rim wheels on chain reaction (fulcrum Quattro). With a discount would be about £160 which is virtually half original price. Anyway, would they be worth putting on my basic level Specialized Allez which I do 50 miles on at weekend and commute all week on? Or would I not really notice the difference? fyi my max average is currently 16mph, if this helps.

Ajay

Veteran
Which wheels do you have at the moment?

Ajay

Veteran
Probably not steel
Axis Classics perhaps? The fulcrums would be an upgrade, but wouldn't make a massive difference. Maybe better to upgrade your tyres first.
If you're commuting every day you may not want to trash more expensive lighter/faster wheels - depending on your route obviously.
I would commute on the existing wheels then swap to something sexier (than the Quattros) for weekend fun. Just a two minute job.

Oh, and make sure any new wheels are compatible with the 8 speed cassette

Last edited:

adscrim

Veteran
Going from my experience, the Fulcrum wheels will roll pretty well but there is likely to be a weight penalty from the deeper rim section. Also, aero advantage tends to happen at higher speed so, (if you'll forgive me for saying so) you may not get any aero advantage from that deeper rim you're paying for in weight. Fulcrum 5s or Zondas can be found at reasonable prices if you look around - you'd get the benefits of the fulcrum (campag) hub but on a lighter rim.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
If your *average* is 16mph, you'll presumably be spending a reasonable amount of time at >20mph, so you will get to enjoy some of the aero benefit of deep rims at least some of the time.

Quattros are decent wheels and that's a good price for them. They're almost certainly lighter and better built than the stock wheels on your bike, so they would be a genuine upgrade.

Cyclist33

They would be a genuine upgrade - my fulcrum r5s have been most excellent company - and in my humble opinion the quattros look bloody awesome on a bike, but don't expect any serious performance gains. A number of (controversial) threads debunked that myth a few months ago!

Is it the regular, black-hubbed ones, or the "special edition" ones with the hubs from the Racing 3?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
They would be a genuine upgrade - my fulcrum r5s have been most excellent company - and in my humble opinion the quattros look bloody awesome on a bike, but don't expect any serious performance gains. A number of (controversial) threads debunked that myth a few months ago!

Is it the regular, black-hubbed ones, or the "special edition" ones with the hubs from the Racing 3?
If you believe them!
My upgraded wheels and tyres have made me loads quicker!!

Cyclist33

If you believe them!
My upgraded wheels and tyres have made me loads quicker!!

It's not a case of belief. They are factually incontrovertible unlike the premise espoused by you which is an article of faith. You already know that it's your training that made you quicker. The fact that you continue to insist that it is down to a set of red wheels is baffling.

Expensive wheels are a function of status anxiety. Rather than seek validation of self by describing one's training routine and dedication to self-improvement, one seeks it by crowing about one's available disposable income, "I am well off because I could afford to buy these".

It's so sad!

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
It's not a case of belief. They are factually incontrovertible unlike the premise espoused by you which is an article of faith. You already know that it's your training that made you quicker. The fact that you continue to insist that it is down to a set of red wheels is baffling.

Expensive wheels are a function of status anxiety. Rather than seek validation of self by describing one's training routine and dedication to self-improvement, one seeks it by crowing about one's available disposable income, "I am well off because I could afford to buy these".

It's so sad!
Bollocks, my wheels were probably the cheapest/lightest I could buy.........because I'm a tight wad, yes my post was "tongue in cheek" and I'm getting fitter all the time and becoming a better rider, but you cannot tell me that they have not helped me improve my times during my TT season over my old set of R501's and rubino/zaffiro combo which weighed a ton and were errrr........not very aero!

To go faster you have to improve everything, a tactic adopted by team GB I believe, lots of relatively small performance gains together contribute to overall large improvements. For instance -TT helmet, skin suit, more aero riding position, LIGHTWEIGHT AERO WHEELS AND TYRES, etc etc etc. To say they don't help is utter shite. The next step for me will be a full on TT bike, now you are going to tell me it won't make any difference?

Citius

but you cannot tell me that they have not helped me improve my times during my TT season over my old set of R501's and rubino/zaffiro combo which weighed a ton and were errrr........not very aero!

For the same reason, you cannot tell anyone that they have helped. Your assumptions are not evidence, sadly.

Top Bottom