39mph in a 30 past speed camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sped past a mobile speed camera in a van today, deliberately. In fact I pushed even harder than I normally would just to relish the fact that I can speed by and there is sod all the cops can do about it! My way of giving them the finger coz I despise speed cams although im OK with the cops in general. Apparently I could have been pulled over by a police officer and charged with 'furious cycling" but the operators in the police van can generate more revenue from motorists with a higher chance of success.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Congratulations on being an arse!​

I'm a keen motorist and over the years I've had many SP30s and various points additions between three and six (depending on severity of speeding). It has cost me a packet, none of which I resent or (really) regret very much.

For all that, I am 100% and absolutely and completely in favour of speed cameras, whether fixed, mobile or pretending to be inflatable squirrels. They provide a useful service and tax those incapable of keeping a large needle pointing at a clearly legible number on a big dial. It's like a tax on the stupid. I should know, I've been paying it for years.

The people in the traffic-safety van are unlikely even to have registered that a cyclist was passing them at 39mph. They weren't there for cyclists. You weren't really giving them the finger, any more than a toddler who sticks their tongue out behind mummy's back is being brave or rebellious.

I suspect you really just want to tell us you can do 39. I think that's very clever of you. You are mighty.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
It's an in-joke in cycling that cyclists can't be booked for speeding (see below) but can be fined for "pedalling furiously." Many cyclists list being cited for "cycling furiously" as one of their life ambitions. Professor David S. Wall, Head of the University of Leeds Law School, a one-time professor of criminal justice, once listed his hobby as: Cycling (Furiously)
However, these legal eagles say they have been unable to find a reference to such a cycling offence in Blackstone's Criminal Practice or in Halsbury's Laws of England
There’s no specific offence of “furious cycling”, but as reported by Cambridge Cycling Campaign in 2007, fast-moving cyclists can sometimes be nabbed for “riding furiously”, an offence under the 1847 Town Police Clauses Act. This mentions (under section 28) it is an offence for “Every person who rides or drives furiously any horse or carriage, or drives furiously any cattle.”
So, don’t go herding cows on your bike as you’ll be committing an offence twice over…
However, cyclists – and not just Victorian ones – can be convicted for “wanton and furious driving”.
The wording of S35 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 (as amended by the Criminal Justice Act 1948 (c. 58), s. 1(2)) is as follows:
“Drivers of carriages injuring persons by furious driving Whosoever, having the charge of any carriage or vehicle, shall by wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct, or by wilful neglect, do or cause to be done any bodily harm to any person whatsoever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and being convicted thereof shall be liable, at the discretion of the court, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding two years.”
While, technically, cyclists do not have to adhere to speed limits, in practice it is most sensible and safe to do so. Cyclists who breach the speed limit may not be prosecuted for a speeding offence but, as stated above, can be prosecuted for “cycling furiously” or “wanton and furious driving.”

Copy and past source:http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-articles/cycling-and-the-law/
In turn its bollocks.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
wanting to ride fast I understand, but there are other places to do it...why deliberately try to antagonize the police who are actually there to catch speeding drivers which is to us cyclists benefit??

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Our local police have setup a mobile camera recently here looking down the hill. People are always doing over 30mph down it and I suspect there have been some complaints. Because they are there, people have been driving at 20mph (yesterday anyway) and taking it a little too seriously (as in driving too slow).
The police have put themselves in a very visible position though and oncoming cars are always warning other drivers.

dodgy

It's an in-joke in cycling that cyclists can't be booked for speeding (see below) but can be fined for "pedalling furiously." Many cyclists list being cited for "cycling furiously" as one of their life ambitions. Professor David S. Wall, Head of the University of Leeds Law School, a one-time professor of criminal justice, once listed his hobby as: Cycling (Furiously)
However, these legal eagles say they have been unable to find a reference to such a cycling offence in Blackstone's Criminal Practice or in Halsbury's Laws of England
There’s no specific offence of “furious cycling”, but as reported by Cambridge Cycling Campaign in 2007, fast-moving cyclists can sometimes be nabbed for “riding furiously”, an offence under the 1847 Town Police Clauses Act. This mentions (under section 28) it is an offence for “Every person who rides or drives furiously any horse or carriage, or drives furiously any cattle.”
So, don’t go herding cows on your bike as you’ll be committing an offence twice over…
However, cyclists – and not just Victorian ones – can be convicted for “wanton and furious driving”.
The wording of S35 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 (as amended by the Criminal Justice Act 1948 (c. 58), s. 1(2)) is as follows:
“Drivers of carriages injuring persons by furious driving Whosoever, having the charge of any carriage or vehicle, shall by wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct, or by wilful neglect, do or cause to be done any bodily harm to any person whatsoever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and being convicted thereof shall be liable, at the discretion of the court, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding two years.”
While, technically, cyclists do not have to adhere to speed limits, in practice it is most sensible and safe to do so. Cyclists who breach the speed limit may not be prosecuted for a speeding offence but, as stated above, can be prosecuted for “cycling furiously” or “wanton and furious driving.”

Copy and past source:http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-articles/cycling-and-the-law/
In turn its bollocks.
I know.

OP
OP
U

User16625

wanting to ride fast I understand, but there are other places to do it...why deliberately try to antagonize the police who are actually there to catch speeding drivers which is to us cyclists benefit??

1, like others said, to be an arse.
2, The speed limit used to be 40mph so somehow its suddenly no longer safe to do 40mph
3, mostly its because for all the times I have nearly been killed by general bad driving, none of them have been due to excess speed and there are these bunch of wallies sitting in a van sending out fines for offenses committed up to 2 weeks ago. A scamera van cant tackle offenses such as drunk drivers, tailgators or other acts of bad driving that I have been subject to. Im aware that the equipment probably didnt even register my presence, just felt good and its good for cardio. To whoever said I thought I was being clever, Im aware im not that intelligent. Or fast as it was on a downhill.

This brings me to another question, this 30mph limit is on a road popular with cycle racing. Time trials are often held on this road so what is the legal situation with official events involving speeding cyclists in such areas?

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I fear that the main problem with a cyclist going over the speed limit in this situation is that it annoys other road users. If they see a cyclist not getting punished, then they might think that cyclists are above the law. Even though speed limits dont apply to us (which is probably the most unknown fact about cycling).

oldroadman

Veteran
1, like others said, to be an arse.
2, The speed limit used to be 40mph so somehow its suddenly no longer safe to do 40mph
3, mostly its because for all the times I have nearly been killed by general bad driving, none of them have been due to excess speed and there are these bunch of wallies sitting in a van sending out fines for offenses committed up to 2 weeks ago. A scamera van cant tackle offenses such as drunk drivers, tailgators or other acts of bad driving that I have been subject to. Im aware that the equipment probably didnt even register my presence, just felt good and its good for cardio. To whoever said I thought I was being clever, Im aware im not that intelligent. Or fast as it was on a downhill.

This brings me to another question, this 30mph limit is on a road popular with cycle racing. Time trials are often held on this road so what is the legal situation with official events involving speeding cyclists in such areas?

Same law applies. No speed limit. That's if the testers can actually manage to go fast enough.

I fear that the main problem with a cyclist going over the speed limit in this situation is that it annoys other road users. If they see a cyclist not getting punished, then they might think that cyclists are above the law. Even though speed limits dont apply to us (which is probably the most unknown fact about cycling).

You might think so, but you are wrong.

The least known fact about cycling is that it was invented by Temujin (Gengis Kahn) in 1198 AD, when he designed a bicycle to allow him to carry his pet mole on plundering trips to neighbouring empires. He rode fixed, claiming that freewheel was for girls. Everyone agreed with him, as he had the biggest sword.

The derailleur and clipless pedal did not emerge for another eight centuries, the brainchild of Martin Bormann, later to achieve notoriety as a senior figure in the hated NS regime in Germany.

This is an excellent claret and I find sitting much easier than standing up.

Top Bottom