39mph in a 30 past speed camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You might think so, but you are wrong.

The least known fact about cycling is that it was invented by Temujin (Gengis Kahn) in 1198 AD, when he designed a bicycle to allow him to carry his pet mole on plundering trips to neighbouring empires. He rode fixed, claiming that freewheel was for girls. Everyone agreed with him, as he had the biggest sword.

The derailleur and clipless pedal did not emerge for another eight centuries, the brainchild of Martin Bormann, later to achieve notoriety as a senior figure in the hated NS regime in Germany.

This is an excellent claret and I find sitting much easier than standing up.
I think you missed out the bit about you knowing this because you were a motorcycle courier for him. :laugh:
I JOKE! :smile:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I fear that the main problem with a cyclist going over the speed limit in this situation is that it annoys other road users. If they see a cyclist not getting punished, then they might think that cyclists are above the law. Even though speed limits dont apply to us (which is probably the most unknown fact about cycling).
Annoys? as long as you aren't riding like a dickhead and pushing past other road users. People behind will be amazed and generally drive very safely.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Annoys? as long as you aren't riding like a dickhead and pushing past other road users. People behind will be amazed and generally drive very safely.
I have overtaken quite a few vehicles at 30mph+ (on dual carriageways) and I have always loved to see the face on the drivers. I agree that people are often amazed at what speeds cyclists can get up to. I have even cycled faster than I have driven (I have only driven at 40mph though).
The perception of speed in car vs bike is very different. On a bike, 30mph feels very fast and is difficult to keep up. In a car, you dont get the same sense of speed.

GlenBen

Über Member
Excess speed maybe isnt the issue at 30, it probably wouldnt kill anyone. As far as your safety goes though, travelling faster than the cars is a bigger point. When youre the slower one they can see you and go around. How many people look behind to check if a cyclist is overtaking them.

I've ridden (or accompanied my son at) quite a few TTs and don't know any courses with a fast descent in a 30mph zone. The question may be purely hypothetical, as I'm not sure a club or its riders would want to go against the clock (or another rider) where there was that sort of risk or where they annoyed other road users.

One or two courses over this way (we are in the country) get into the edge of a village, but they tend to be out on open, flowing NSL roads. Usually they don't get past the entrance sign for the village before veering off into the fields again.

The potential issues for me are the occasional roundabouts, as a rider on a good time might want to take a risk. Luckily, I am never on a good time.

On my very occasional and unspectacular dips into the world of TT, I ride a steady 18" from the verge. I am impressed by the carbo-whizzbang-turbo brigade on their moaning carbon missiles who take the middle of the lane and clip every right-handed apex on the dotted line. I just couldn't do that, but somehow a solid rear wheel seems to make them as brave as they are fast.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Excess speed maybe isnt the issue at 30, it probably wouldnt kill anyone. As far as your safety goes though, travelling faster than the cars is a bigger point. When youre the slower one they can see you and go around. How many people look behind to check if a cyclist is overtaking them.
They may not expect a cyclist but would expect a car. Therefor they would still look non the less or should.

sidevalve

Über Member
Excellent -it PROBABLY wont kill anybody. Gives a real sense of reality to the post. We cry for revenge and bay for blood and hangings when a car breaks the speed limit but reckon it's OK if it's a cyclist. To brag about how we are above the law and it only applies to "other" people is a bit pathetic really. There are more and more 20 zones coming in now and sooner or later the free ride for cyclists will end. If you want more restrictive legislation and more limits on cycling fine, keep up the good work, you [and all the rest of us] will get your wish sooner than you may think.

GlenBen

Über Member
I must have misworded that. My intention wasnt to say its fine, do it. I was trying to point out that even if it did used to be a 40 zone and you feel safe, doesnt mean it is. Nor does it mean its right. Im not blessed with being able to break any speed limits, but I certainly wouldnt dream of it. Nobody can complain about a car breaking the rules of the road and then claim they dont have to follow the rules. I havent a clue if its illegal or not, but speed limits are there for a reason.

Top Bottom